Rifle refinishing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is the current condition and what are you attempting to achieve? Rusty iron spike to showroom new? Or just well used but cared for, to rejuvenated, clean, and protected?

reade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Area, Tulsa

Condition, someone attempted to do the wood with a circular sanding disc then brushed some kind of finish on it. Looks pretty bad. Metal needs help but far from rusty spike.

Age? I'd guess it from the 60's maybe later.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it have any sentimental value? If not, you can easily sink more into refinishing than it's worth. Especially if both wood and metal are rough. Bluing isn't cheap and neither are bake on finishes. Why don't you turn it into a DIY project.

Last edited:

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just to give you an idea, for a basic stock strip and refinish with a modern finish my fee would be $100-$200 depending on amount of prep work needed (Removing old finish, hand sanding, dent removal) and any checkering or engraving will added to the complexity (and cost). Also know that any refinish work will severely degrade or even eliminate any collector's value in the rifle. However since it has already been refinished, and poorly at that, a quality job would likely be beneficial to value, although it rarely adds enough value to recoup the cost of the work.

Also keep in mind that i do this as a hobby on the side and not a profession. A professional company would likely cost more.
And this is the stock only, metal work is a totally separate cost.

Hope this helps

Check out my threads in the rimfire section to see some examples of what I've done for reference.

Last edited:

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Catt57 is spot on with his info - putting the money out to refinish the rifle will put you upside down pretty quickly. If I owned that rifle I would DIY enough on the wood so I could live with it and use it as my truck/rainy day/loaner gun. I have a Marlin .35 Remington in similar condition.

Good Luck!

Cedar Creek

Latest posts

Top Bottom