Roaring River ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going to the Roaring River down by Cassville Mo. next weekend, and could use some advice. What tactics are the most effective, lure recommendations, line size, etc.. I'll mostly be using spinning tackle, I know people don't like sharing there secrets, but any advice is greatly appreciated.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Line makes a difference in the number of bites you will get, especially in when it's low. I like Maxima Ultragreen myself. You can get away with 4lb, but 2lb works better when the water is low and clear. White or blue line will scare fish.

Black Roostertail at the bell will net you fish after fish for 10-30 minutes before the stockers get educated. Fish a single hook and you can fish in Zone 2, it's generally less crowded.

A white thread jig under an indicator has pulled hundreds of trout for me, they will work all day long..usually more consistent than fishing spinners and spoons in the afternoon. Wooly Buggers are another go to that can be fished on spin tackle.

Stop in and see Tim at the Fly shop just outside the park on 112. He will have everything you need as well as the latest info, and you won't meet a nicer guy.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My experience with them, is do like RH said, just ask what they are biting on inside the Bait Shop, they are real nice, and don't mind helping out.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Line makes a difference in the number of bites you will get, especially in when it's low. I like Maxima Ultragreen myself. You can get away with 4lb, but 2lb works better when the water is low and clear. White or blue line will scare fish.

Black Roostertail at the bell will net you fish after fish for 10-30 minutes before the stockers get educated. Fish a single hook and you can fish in Zone 2, it's generally less crowded.

A white thread jig under an indicator has pulled hundreds of trout for me, they will work all day long..usually more consistent than fishing spinners and spoons in the afternoon. Wooly Buggers are another go to that can be fished on spin tackle.

Stop in and see Tim at the Fly shop just outside the park on 112. He will have everything you need as well as the latest info, and you won't meet a nicer guy.

Whatever Tim has told me to do has always caught fish. My first stop before casting a line.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
like they said Tims and the lodge. i think you can e-mail Tims. buy your stuff there. small hooks, two pound test, worms, special plyers, net, vest, all help.

be ready to fish at the buzzer - the new fish go first.

what I do, maybe this will help. i use two pounds on an ultralight. or 4 lb with a 2lb leader. a trout vest is helpful, you can hook you net to strap in the back.

i use mainly worms - orange, orange and white, black and orange, green and white, all white, or a white ball - no spinners at all for me.

there is a trick how you put the worm on. work the worm up the line with the tail of the worm covering the hook. do not expose any hook they will see it. have some spare hooks with worms already on them ready to do cause you will loose equipment. look around and see what color of worm they are hitting and don't hesitate to go to this color. sometimes if worms are not working, go to white balls.

reel very easy but steady, when you get the fish close to the bank they will go bananas so be ready to net them. don't try and lift the fish out of the water use your net or just drap the wish up the bank the further the better. - why because it is not uncommon for them to get off so if they are 6 feet from the water vs 2 feet you have a better chance and time to get the fish before he gets back in the water.

most of the fish in the ponds have been fed everyday of their lives. so it is not unusual to catch a fish on the first cast or even the first three casts - hint- they have been fed black or dark brown pellets.

hopes this helps let me know how you do.

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always had luck with two eggs on a hook. I use 4lb line, a size 10 hook, a white egg and an orange egg, with a split shot sinker about 12-18 inches above the hook. Sometimes I can only find size 12 hooks and two eggs are a little large so I cut them in half, still works fine. Drop that in the deep part of a pool right behind the drop from the previous pool. Let the running water take the eggs downstream until the sinker hits bottom. If you don't get a strike within a minute or two pick it up and reset. If you can get the sinker to anchor right on the front edge of the hole you will usually get the best results. Some of the deeper pools where you can't see through the swirling water usually hold the bigger trout. People using spinner baits usually catch their limit faster, but this method has usually netted me my limit of good sized trout by 8am. A few times I have had to stay out until 9, but on a good morning I don't see a problem with that. :)

Seansworth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
reel very easy but steady, when you get the fish close to the bank they will go bananas so be ready to net them. don't try and lift the fish out of the water use your net or just drap the wish up the bank the further the better. - why because it is not uncommon for them to get off so if they are 6 feet from the water vs 2 feet you have a better chance and time to get the fish before he gets back in the water.

I just want to emphasize this because I lost more than my fair share of trout at R.R. before I finally learned my lesson. :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom