rock island 1911s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No, but I can get out there with the micrometer and do that if you want to.

No sir, not necessary. I pretty much know what the numbers will tell.
I was just pointing out that, aside from your experiences with their reliability from owning and firing them, the comparisons that are made in your essay are, in large part, cosmetic aspects. To look at the back end of an extractor sticking out of a slide says nothing of the functionality or fit of a extractor, for example. Dont get me wrong, the look of a firearm is very important, but the "meat and potatoes", of a gun are their dimensional and metallurgical aspects. At least when they arent intended as objects of mere art.

Qualitative data is fine if youre a naturalist observing a pack of wolves in the forest, but quantitative data is what we need here, in order to truly make a valid comparison between these two similar but different objects of modern manufacturing.

I didnt post in this thread to take sides in the SA vs. RIA, I just wanted to spark the investigative juices by suggesting that you cant always judge a gun by its cover.

No detraction of your well done photo comparison was intended.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had two and i liked the 06 model better then the 08/09 model. They changed something about the grip safety in that time and i didnt like how it turns downwards now. But other than that I liked them both

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didnt post in this thread to take sides in the SA vs. RIA, I just wanted to spark the investigative juices by suggesting that you cant always judge a gun by its cover.

No detraction of your well done photo comparison was intended.

A completely valid point -- just understand what prompted the photo comparison to begin with, which was a typical internet discussion between people bantering about anecdotal evidence and using apples-and-oranges photos to compare features, fit-and-finish, internal parts, etc.

There simply hadn't been a side-by-side viewing.

Now, with respect to metallurgy and Kuhnhausen-comparative lists of dimensions, that'll have to be left to someone with more time and technical know-how than I.

In that vein, I too can only offer anecdotal evidence based on my own experiences and what I've read on the interwebz.

Te be fair, I've never seen a counterpoint offered up which uses anything but "opinion" by a gunsmith as to why a Springfield GI might be a "better" 1911 than a Armscorp/Rock Island. It's easy to raise the question, and much harder to prove the point.

I stand by the assertion that, for the price, the RIA is a fantastic value, even when compared to other competitors that are offered at a higher price. Nothing more, nothing less.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Experiences aren't necessarily opinions.
I know which one is more apt to give me trouble web it's on the bench and someone wants a 2.5# trigger on it, or want the barrel accurized.
Remember, I just said more apt; I didn't say a RIA was a piece of junk.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ok well i decided to not get one after all, i am now looking at the springfield 3" 1911, but i dont know how "heavy" it will be compared to my g27...

Good choice, I like RIAs but I wouldn't trust one to carry, I have personally seen them spit parts out at the range.

Hate to recommend this because it's at a much higher price point but you might want to look at an Springfield EMP. It's got everything you'll need on a carry gun and they were designed from the ground up. The 9mm is light and the .40 is very soft shooting for a compact 3" gun.

Also, one thing to consider is that if anything goes wrong, Springfield will take care of you quickly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom