Rock Island G.I. 45acp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Big Boys Toys 745-7179 carries RI. you might want to check out their Tactical version. I carry a Les Baer, now I'm not going to say this sub $500 gun will shoot as good as my $1800 gun but "Dang". You won't be sorry. Almost forgot, I didn't get through the first mag before I had a FTF after I changed to a Wilson 47D no more problems.

jroberts1968

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are very nice after the break in very traditional 1911. You can great feedback at M1911.org. I had one and sold it to buy a defender.
No it's not A LB but if it gets stolen or you drop it you wont feel the pain that a Les Baer or Wilson will cause. They shoot very well from the box just break it in with 250 to 500 of 45 ball and you will not have issues. Some aftermarket parts need a little more fitting on them.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, good guns that go bang when you pull the trigger. The finish is not as thick or nice as higher priced ones, and the sights on the GI are not good, but is a good base gun to find out what you want on a 1911.

Some people use them as base guns for builds, however, I have heard some issues with the slides being soft. I have two of them and have not had that issue. The only thing I would suggest is to get some decent mags as was mentioned, and have some fun. Mine shoots fine with CCM Shooting Star mags, but I use Wilson when I carry it.

The compact that I have shoots 5" groups at 25 yards, and would probably do better with a better shooter. They are fun 1911s that are not going to break the bank, and will help you make up your mind to see if that is the platform for you. Also, their customer service is top notch. I have never heard any complaints on that at all.

Locally in OKC, I do not know. Online Sarco has the best selection and price that I have seen.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But it you wont be disappointed, and they have the best customer service in the industry. I would spend the extra $50.00 and get the Tachtical, it has all the bells and whistles.

Gillman, if yours is shooting 5 " groups I'd sent it in and have them look it over. Mine shoots more like 2" groups.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have one. Love it. Picked it up used on this forum actually. :mosh: Nice weapon. I would recommend the Tactical version as it is already notched for sights from the get go. Other than that. Go for it.

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
aimg.villagephotos.com_p_2004_8_807509_Cnv0014.png

I put this together a few years ago.Shot really nice but not a big 1911 fan.