Ruger 22/45 good starter gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some test show that it's one of the best (if not the best) hosts you can get.

I picked up the Walther P22 because I liked the feel, the way it breaks down (except that pesky spring) the similarities to my HKs and the way it looks. Can't go wrong with either.

I think the Ruger looks more like a surgeons tool and made for as such.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Walther P22 is a great host Possibly the most common because it is already threaded and only requires a thread adapter to attach a silencer.

The Ruger MK series pistol (22/45 ) Is quite a bit more accurate and Silences Very well but will require a gunsmith to thread the barrel or you will have to buy a threaded top end like the PacLight. Top ends like the PacLight are considered Firearms on there own so you will have to get an FFL involved to purchase one unless you can find a private party that is selling theirs. Some Find the Ruger near impossible to disassemble

The Buckmark is very accurate and also will need to have its barrel threaded or an aftermarket one installed. Unlike the Ruger its barrel is not a serialized part so no FFL is needed to purchase one.

Stay away from the SIG mosquito

If you end up needing someone to thread your barrel we have smiths here on the site that do it locally. Honeybee in the Tulsa are and Dustin I think does it in the OKC area

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ruger is making factory threaded MKIII 22/45's now. They have one with regular sights, and one with a picatinny rail on top for a dot sight.
I got the one with the rail and mounted a Primary Arms micro green dot on top. It's super accurate and really fun with my suppressor attached.
I picked mine up for under $350 after tax.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Walther P22 is a great host Possibly the most common because it is already threaded and only requires a thread adapter to attach a silencer.

The Ruger MK series pistol (22/45 ) Is quite a bit more accurate and Silences Very well but will require a gunsmith to thread the barrel or you will have to buy a threaded top end like the PacLight. Top ends like the PacLight are considered Firearms on there own so you will have to get an FFL involved to purchase one unless you can find a private party that is selling theirs. Some Find the Ruger near impossible to disassemble

The Buckmark is very accurate and also will need to have its barrel threaded or an aftermarket one installed. Unlike the Ruger its barrel is not a serialized part so no FFL is needed to purchase one.

Stay away from the SIG mosquito

If you end up needing someone to thread your barrel we have smiths here on the site that do it locally. Honeybee in the Tulsa are and Dustin I think does it in the OKC area
I agree with this. The Browning and the Ruger is available with a factory threaded barrel. The P22 is also good. My Sig was junk.

Latest posts

Top Bottom