Ruger MkII Sights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Ruger MkII I purchased in the early 80s. My 7-year-old and I were shooting it yesterday when I noticed how crappy and dark the sights are. They are similar to the ones on this MkIII.
ai977.photobucket.com_albums_ae259_zdadthrice_rugermk3.jpg

Any recommendations on how to best remedy the sights? Should I just put a dab of nail polish on the front sight?

I'm saving up to purchase a new gun and upgrade my Glock, Kahr and wife's FNP-9. So, I don't want to spend much on the Ruger.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmm, you could pay a good smith a little bit and have them drill the front sight a little and epoxy in a piece of fiber. That would be the cheapest route maybe, and would yield acceptable results. My dad had that done once. Looks ok, but I'd be kind of worried it would come loose or they'd drill it crooked. I guess that's why I said to have a "good" smith do it.

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 60 yr old eyes, and I use a dab of Testor's bright yellow model paint on the front sights. Part of the cleaning ritual is to refresh the dab each time I clean up after a shooting session.

Of course, Crimson Trace helps with two of my guns too!

microsoftisevil

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 60 yr old eyes, and I use a dab of Testor's bright yellow model paint on the front sights. Part of the cleaning ritual is to refresh the dab each time I clean up after a shooting session.

Of course, Crimson Trace helps with two of my guns too!

I'd agree here. Maybe try a dab of yellow and see if it sticks? If it isn't to your liking, then you are out like a buck fifty for paint. You could always try something else if that doesn't work well enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom