ruger p89 or RIA 1911

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd rather have 15 rounds that I "know" are gonna feed than 8 rounds that I "hope" are gonna feed.

The Ruger P89 is one of the most overlooked 9mm pistols out there. It's built like a tank and will eat whatever you feed it. The only problem is, they don't pattern worth a damn.

I'd trade. But then again...I'm a Glocker, not a fan of ol' slabsides. :disappoin

My P-89 ate anything. Big, heavy, not great for concealed carry.

My father in law had not fired a handgun since the end of WW II. (Carried a captured p-38 all the way across Europe--still got the holster he had made, alas--not the gun.)

We went to a sandpit where I had peremission to shoot. I put up a piece of printer paper at 30 yards. He, one-handed, shot a 15 round group with my P-89 that you could cover with a large hand.

With a rest, on a good day, at 25 yards I could shoot about a 2 inch group where with my Kimber I could make one hole, so GED is right about accuracy, but for self defense that should be enough.

I'd go for the Glock, and I'd probably get a model 22 in this situation. (These convert to .357 Sig if you ever feel adventurous.)