??'s about S&W Model 37

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannySyl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Smith & Wesson Model 37-1, that I bought several years ago from Southwest Shooters, in OKC.
?- is it safe to shoot +p's with this revolver? I never have, so I am just wondering.

While talking to my son, on the phone, he asked me if it has a pinned barrel, How would I find this out?

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
This thread should explain how to find if it is a pinned barrel or not.

Pinned / Recessed Discussion

As far as +P, it is not rated for use with +P. When I had a alum framed older .38 spl S&W, I only shot standard .38 special rounds, but carried with +P. From the reading I did then, it is safe for a small number of rounds, but with continual use of +P it will wear the gun out faster. Use this advice at your own risk. If the gun is particularly valuable to you (heirloom or such), I'd recommend not shooting +P.

GrannySyl

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Guys
That is exactly the info that I needed.
Mine is not pinned. It's not an heirloom,but, it has been my carry weapon since they first came on the market. I bought it new from Southwest shooters years ago. I do take it out and shoot a few every couple of months, to stay in practice. Think I'll pass on the +p's, no point in messing up a good gun.