S&W Model 66 mistamp or overstamp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copertop80

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I recently acquired a model 66 and wanna make sure I don’t have more than what I think I’ve have.

Where the model number is there seems to be a two over stamp on either a 1 or a 3.

I’m not knowledgeable enough on older smith and wessons to know if it’s a quick turn or hold onto it untill I “find the right new owner”.

Any help or resources are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
IMG_1572.jpeg
IMG_1571.jpeg
IMG_1573.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a 2 and 3. The -1’s were pinned barrel. S&W overstamped many frames based on engineering and product changes. There are collectors that hone in on errors, overstamps, misstamped etc. It’s a small niche group though.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is the Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson 4th edition. It’s the most current one
View attachment 442246
If you figure out the secret blend of button clicks, buying it on Amazon gets you a physical copy and a digital copy

BSOWENS

Marksman
Reaction score
Thank you,
I guess mine is probably a 1980 or 81. It is a 629 (no dash) Ser# is N777xxx . I thought the grooved trigger would be on the timeline, I know most 629s have smooth polished Triggers. I bought it in 1983 from the widow of a police officer. It has a lot of sentimental value, it's by far my most prized possession.
I will take it to my grave, just in case...

Latest posts

Top Bottom