S&W .500 Magnum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I finally did it. I shot a beast of a gun last week. My buddy bought a .500 Mag and I borrowed it so RedHawk and I could experience the thrill. The rounds I bought were only 300 grain, but the good stuff was 70 bucks for 20 rounds. I went cheap. Anyway, the 1' 3/8" barrel made the shooting smoother than the walloping my .44 Mag with the 4.5" barrel gives my shoulder with 300 grain ammo. RH wasn't impressed with the lighter ammo but liked the feel of the gun. It was a fun few minutes. I was over it quickly. LOL

Attachments

• 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 140
  • 20170427_213348.jpg
    20170427_213348.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 146

RedHawk357Mag

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually we both had a good time. The loads were Armscor and when fired they failed to completely seal the chamber. Very sooty about half way up casing. I don't blame Fred saving a few bucks on the assembled ammo. I probably would have bought similar. What I absolutely could never, ever in a million years buy or own is a Smith with a hole in the left side. It is like putting ketchup on prime rib. It was fun and I am glad to get a chance to shoot one.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good Lord I want to shoot one of those with max load.
I load my 7 3/8' Super Red Hawk .44 mag with max loads of H110 and it gets everybody's attention at the outdoor range and especially at indoor ranges. When I shot it on the pistol bays at Wilshire on their opening weekend, the staff flooded in there thinking a rifle was being shot.
I'm recoil sensitive on long guns, but when it comes to pistol, Gimme what you got.
Have no reasoning for that.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you at least had fun. I sure seem to see more than a few of those being sold used with very low round count. LOL

I would like to try one, but I worry I may drop the silly thing. My 45-70 Gov dislocated my thumb when shooting a 485 gr cast bullet. The heavy recoil may hurt, but I would still do it. :)

I have a lanyard I use on my TC when shooting the heavier loads, so if it gets dropped, no risk to my pistol or scope. Thumbs and wrists heal up but fixin' guns gets spendy.

FredNOk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year that same bud found a .454 casull at the gun show in Tulsa. I want to say it is an Alaskan. He bought a box of max load ammo for it. I shot that sucker once and then handed it back to him. It almost put me on my ass!