S&W 5906 Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jschatz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I may be an idiot but can not get my new to me 5906 apart, I can not get the slide stop to push out so that I can strip it. Is there a special trick to getting it out, should I try and hit it with a punch while someone else holds the gun/slide back?

Thanks
Ray

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you get the notch over the takedown pin.Use a plastic pen,marker, or handle of a screwdriver to kinda smack it if it tight..That way it wont hurt the finish..Some are easier than others of the same model to remove.

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure you have the slide stop notch above the front (pivot) end of the slide stop and then tap on the back side of the pin with a plastic or wooden handle. If you pull the slide all the way back where the notch is lined up with the back end of the pin (like you would on a 1911), you will never get it out. Ask me how I know.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
no sweat, none of us knew till we knew. Most firearms are fairly simple to field strip once we know how. Smith & wesson has the owners manuals downloadable on their website also, if you don't have one. Good stuff, I love 3rd generation smiths.

Latest posts

Top Bottom