S&W 629 aka My hand-cannon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, time to fix up My hand-cannon and make myself a BBQ gun (as funds permit).

First problem is it's got a cylinder with the timing off and I'd like to get that fixed. Is there a local 'smith that can do this? (tulsa) Or should I send it to Smith and Wesson? I would also like the advance the carry-up, can S&W do that?

I'm going to be polishing it up today, and getting it to a good mirror finish. I'll eventually have it deep relief engraved, but not for a little while.

Bonded ivory? Good, bad or ugly? Can I checker bonded ivory? Or will it be fine holding on to full house .44 loads with smooth fake ivory?

Sights? I don't love the factory sights. I'd rather have a more traditional black post on black notch. Not that white line/orange crap.

Sturgell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, time to fix up My hand-cannon and make myself a BBQ gun (as funds permit).

First problem is it's got a cylinder with the timing off and I'd like to get that fixed. Is there a local 'smith that can do this? (tulsa) Or should I send it to Smith and Wesson? I would also like the advance the carry-up, can S&W do that?

I'm going to be polishing it up today, and getting it to a good mirror finish. I'll eventually have it deep relief engraved, but not for a little while.

Bonded ivory? Good, bad or ugly? Can I checker bonded ivory? Or will it be fine holding on to full house .44 loads with smooth fake ivory?

Sights? I don't love the factory sights. I'd rather have a more traditional black post on black notch. Not that white line/orange crap.

Oversize hands are available from Brownells. Fitting them isn't hard but you should probably have someone watch over you if you have never worked on a revolver before.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=2155/k=/t=P/mfg=/Products/Smith-Wesson-N-Frame-Parts

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks, I talked to S&W and theres a return label on it's way to me. They said it should be under warranty. The gun is 9 years old, but has maybe 200 rounds through it. I bought it as 12 and it was tough to shoot then.

These days it's just expensive, but fun. I've found a new intrest if fixing up my old guns as opposed to buying new. So it's getting a polish ect.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some light polishing

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn261_twodollarjohnston_DSCF2174.jpg

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not through yet. I'm holding off until I get the action work done and then I'm going to blue trigger, hammer, screws, ejector rod and cylinder latch. It might not be some peoples flavor, but it's My handcannon and I'll cr... uhh... do what i want.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it possible that the metal on my revolver is scratched a little to deeply to be brought to mirror finish? I have it to a high shine, and it looks very good, but I'm thinking I've came as far as I can go.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it possible that the metal on my revolver is scratched a little to deeply to be brought to mirror finish? I have it to a high shine, and it looks very good, but I'm thinking I've came as far as I can go.

It's very possible. If a buffing wheel wont take it out, I'd leave it alone.

Let's see how it looks.

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not through yet. I'm holding off until I get the action work done and then I'm going to blue trigger, hammer, screws, ejector rod and cylinder latch. It might not be some peoples flavor, but it's My handcannon and I'll cr... uhh... do what i want.

Is your hammer case hardened? Mine is and I kinda like the look. Less uniforming then bluing alone.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your hammer case hardened? Mine is and I kinda like the look. Less uniforming then bluing alone.

It isn't, but I've considered that.

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn261_twodollarjohnston_DSCF2190.jpg

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn261_twodollarjohnston_DSCF2192.jpg

ai306.photobucket.com_albums_nn261_twodollarjohnston_DSCF2193.jpg

Not a huge difference between the first polish and now, but it looks good.

I talked to Smitty engraveing in Harrah yesterday, and I'm happy with his prices and the fact that he responded on a saturday, so now it's time to save money. I also found the grips I want. I'm sticking with hogue since I already have the monogrip stirrup pinned on. Clicky What do y'all think?

http://www.dlsports.com/sandw_kln_frame_sights.html I'm also considering those. This is gonna be a BBQ gun, not a tack driving hunter. I plan on getting a plain black front sight also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom