S&W Model 41 questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legendary350

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a new S&W Model 41. Are they that much better than say a Ruger MK II Slabside or Buck Mark Contour.
I know the quality and snob appeal is there but can you feel a difference or see a difference in accuracy? I'm really thinking about one just because of the background and history of it and it feels so good in the hand. Thank you.
Never shot one. Shot against guys in bullseye who used them. They had to oil their ammo to get them to run - apparently, they like to run wet. They were using wax-lubed ammo, if you use oil or grease-lubed ammo you can probably skip the manual lube.
As far as accuracy goes. I've mounted scopes on my Rugers, they'll shoot <1" at 25 yards with just about any decent ammo (no Wildcat or Thunderbolt tested...YMMV), 1/2 that with ammo they like (SK, AutoMatch and Lapua in my case). I changed the triggers and bolts to Volquartsen, trigger pulls are 1-1/2 - 2 lbs. If you shoot enough ammo Rugers will eventually choke on wax-lubed ammo in cold weather due to build-up in the mags - have to clean them with Hoppes every once-in-a-while. Recommend using nickel mags over the blued, but blued ones are fine. If you shoot a lot of subsonic ammo it pays to get the Volquartsen bolt and use one of their lighter springs. Users have told me that the 41s are a little picky as to what ammo they'll run.

Legendary350

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. I have heard that before. Will mainly be shooting for steel challenge using CCI mini mag 40 Grain target ammo 1235 fps if you think that would run in it.
For Steel Challenge I use the Ruger Mk IV 22/45 Lite. You don't want to be swinging a lot of barrel mass around in Steel Challenge. I replaced the triggers and bolts with Volquartsen parts and run Geco ammo. I've used CCI Std. in the past, but because of wax build up in the mags they have to be cleaned after every other match to be 100%. Also, nickel mags are more reliable than the blued for Steel Challenge, I lube them with Teflon dry lube.

Raptor62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a 41 for many years. Every time I go to the range someone spots it and wants to fire it. Amaizing accuracy never had an ammo problem. I bought a Browning Medalist in 1964. They both out shoot the Rugers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom