S&W Model 41 questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had mine for 20 years, and I've had High Standards, Rugers, Buck Marks, and I don't know what all, but nothing else compares. I've never had any ammo issues. IMHO the 41 is the Cadillac, weight, grip angle, sights and the trigger, perfect. Sometimes I take it to the range and just run a few mags through it, like having that beautiful custom Harley in the garage and just take it out for a couple hours on a nice day, you just get recharged.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a new S&W Model 41. Are they that much better than say a Ruger MK II Slabside or Buck Mark Contour.

Not to hijack your thread but a buddy has a LNIB Ruger Mk3 Target SS model that he'll sell as he's never shot it.
Also, have an earlier (5 digit, pre A) 5.5" clean shooter grade w/ correct mag and original grips
Why not buy both and make your own determination as to which is better? ;)
He also has an early (1937) and very clean Colt Woodsman that he'll sell.
PM your number and can text pics, etc.

1691006543377.png

1691006575805.png

1691006618508.png

ARG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread but a buddy has a LNIB Ruger Mk3 Target SS model that he'll sell as he's never shot it.
Also, have an earlier (5 digit, pre A) 5.5" clean shooter grade w/ correct mag and original grips
Why not buy both and make your own determination as to which is better? ;)
He also has an early (1937) and very clean Colt Woodsman that he'll sell.
PM your number and can text pics, etc.

View attachment 398333

View attachment 398334

View attachment 398335
Already have a few Ruger MK Ii and IV's but thanks for mentioning.

226 Man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the 70s and 80s, I was a member of the Ponca City VFW Rifle and Pistol Club. We shot the 2700 point BE match and most of the guys shot 41s. I couldn’t swing the cost of a 41 but found a High Standard Supermatic Trophy with a 7 1/4” fluted barrel at Mashburn Arms in OKC. Never won any matches against those guys but got fairly good. About 10 years ago a 41 came my way and both guns shoot very well with CCI standard velocity. For me, the High Standard still shoots the best but the 41 is a very accurate pistol. Got some Ruger Marks and Browning Challengers from the 60s but they are not in the same league.

ejg

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I have Rugers, High Standards (including a Trophy with the long barrel and a additional 5" bull) along with one 41 long barrel that I bought around 1980. I shot pistols a lot then and still do with the 41 still being my favorite as it is a tack driver. Mine actually isn't too finicky and will run dirty without jamming. Now the High Standard Supermatic Trophy ... I call it the High Standard Jamamatic Trophy. It is REAL finicky and does not like getting dirty at all. While it shoots well after a bath, it can't hold up to the 41.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Rugers, High Standards (including a Trophy with the long barrel and a additional 5" bull) along with one 41 long barrel that I bought around 1980. I shot pistols a lot then and still do with the 41 still being my favorite as it is a tack driver. Mine actually isn't too finicky and will run dirty without jamming. Now the High Standard Supermatic Trophy ... I call it the High Standard Jamamatic Trophy. It is REAL finicky and does not like getting dirty at all. While it shoots well after a bath, it can't hold up to the 41.
Your magazines may need an adjustment

ejg

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Never tried putzing with the mags, just cleaned it fairly often and it would run fine. A buddy has a older model that ran pretty good. This one has pretty much become a safe queen (along with the others) and I pull out the 41 when I shoot .22s.

Latest posts

Top Bottom