S&W sigma 9mm Vs .40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

which one

• 9mm

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • .40 cal

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crosstimbers Okie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a SW40VE that I liked... Until I bought a Glock that is. My Sigma morphed into a Glock 19.

I think the Sigma trigger is heavier than it needs to be--especially when the body is under extreme stress and most of the blood goes to the large muscles of the body and the hands and fingers grow weaker than they are at the range.

I liked the gun in spite of the heavy trigger. It was 100% reliable with everything I fed it.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, the trigger is a tad heavy, a buddy of mine has one. But, with the help of the internet and a boring saturday, we found a mod you can do that removes one of the springs, forget which one now, but lowers it by about 1/3. takes all of 10 minutes, can always be put back if you don't like it, and costs nothing. wish that were the case for my XDM.

SparkyOKC

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My vote is for the 9mm. I prefer the ballistics of the .40, but I find with as little as I shoot, I can retain a higher level of proficiency with the 9mm. And, getting older, the 9mm is easier on my wrists. Finally - as mentioned previously - 9mm is cheaper. Now, if they made a Sigma .45 ACP...Oh, that's called an M&P. :)

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm definately no expert but I believe the .40 is 10mm short. Not interchangeable. Just like the .380 ACP is a 9mm short. Not interchangeable. Could be wrong.

if you mean the projectiles, then you are kind of close...the .40 projectile can be loaded into a 10mm case and fired. that part is the same,, ballistics are grossly different. Same with a .380, same dimesion of projectile, though .380 ussually runs in the 85 to 100gr range, where the 9mm starts at 115r, though you could use the lighter bullets.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is 10mm the same as .40 because there's websites that say there either 10mm or .40 and I'm confused?

a 10mm fan chiming in:
dimensionally, 10mm is .4 inches, making it .40 caliber.
However, the 10mm Auto cartridge is not the same cartridge as .40S&W

The 10mm Auto is longer than 40S&W by about a tenth of an inch, uses large pistol primers versus the small pistol of the 40S&W, and the case of the 10mm is a magnum pistol case by definition.

You cannot shoot 10mm Auto in a 40S&W pistol.
You cannot shoot 40S&W in a 10mm Auto pistol.
To the best of my knowledge, the only exception here is the S&W 610 revolver which will safely shoot either cartridge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom