Safe Technician Recommendations in the OKC Area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outlawfirearms

Marksman
Reaction score
My 20-year-old Cannon gun safe electronic keypad and lock died and I need to have it drilled in order to open it. I have tried new Duracell alkaline batteries and an identical working keypad, but have been unable to get the safe to open. I have spoken with Cannon and their customer service is sending me a new keypad and lock. Since the Cannon warranty for labor on an electronic keypad and lock is only one year, I am going to be responsible for the expense of having a safe technician drill and open the safe. Cannon customer service refused to give me the names of any safe technicians they use in the OKC area. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good safe technician to drill and open my safe? I am also going to see if they can replace the lock with a mechanical dial lock. I realize any lock can have a problem, but I believe a mechanical dial lock will be more reliable in the long run. I appreciate any recommendations for a safe technician to help me.
UPDATE: I want to thank everyone for the recommendations and input. I never really thought about having a problem with an electronic lock (Kaba Mas LC Series) until it happened, and I could not open my safe. I googled information and watched many YouTube videos trying to identify a possible solution to my problem. I also had an identical working keypad from another Cannon safe I have, and it would not activate the solenoid to open the lock inside the safe door. Although Cannon customer service walked me through troubleshooting and sent me a new replacement NL electronic keypad and lock, the labor to drill the safe open and replace the lock was not covered under their warranty.

Mark Wells of Safe 1 (405-715-3555) (Security Systems - Safe 1 | Midwest City, OK 405-716-3555) in OKC was able to drill open my safe and install a new S&G mechanical dial lock. Mark did a great job, and the dial ring covered the repaired drill hole he had to make to access the lock inside the door. Mark was very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained what he was doing and why. He also got me a new S&G mechanical dial lock to replace the Kaba Mas LC series keypad lock I have on another Cannon safe I have. After this experience with having an electronic lock inside the safe door go bad, I have more confidence in a mechanical dial lock. I realize the mechanical lock can go bad, however, I believe the chances are less likely. I recommend Mark Wells if your safe lock goes bad and needs replaced. Mark gave me an upfront price range for his services, and I believe his charges were reasonable based on the expertise and time it took to drill open the safe. I will use Mark if I ever need a safe technician again.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
UPDATE: I want to thank everyone for the recommendations and input. I never really thought about having a problem with an electronic lock (Kaba Mas LC Series) until it happened, and I could not open my safe. I googled information and watched many YouTube videos trying to identify a possible solution to my problem. I also had an identical working keypad from another Cannon safe I have, and it would not activate the solenoid to open the lock inside the safe door. Although Cannon customer service walked me through troubleshooting and sent me a new replacement NL electronic keypad and lock, the labor to drill the safe open and replace the lock was not covered under their warranty.

Mark Wells of Safe 1 (405-715-3555) (Security Systems - Safe 1 | Midwest City, OK 405-716-3555) in OKC was able to drill open my safe and install a new S&G mechanical dial lock. Mark did a great job, and the dial ring covered the repaired drill hole he had to make to access the lock inside the door. Mark was very knowledgeable and thoroughly explained what he was doing and why. He also got me a new S&G mechanical dial lock to replace the Kaba Mas LC series keypad lock I have on another Cannon safe I have. After this experience with having an electronic lock inside the safe door go bad, I have more confidence in a mechanical dial lock. I realize the mechanical lock can go bad, however, I believe the chances are less likely. I recommend Mark Wells if your safe lock goes bad and needs replaced. Mark gave me an upfront price range for his services, and I believe his charges were reasonable based on the expertise and time it took to drill open the safe. I will use Mark if I ever need a safe technician again.
Drilled a few myself glad you found a good smith!

outlawfirearms

Marksman
Reaction score
I've got a keypad safe I'd like to convert to mechanical. It doesn't have a key . It's a champion brand.
If you don't want to do it yourself, you should give Mark Wells at Safe 1 a call. I listed his phone number in my previous post. He did a good job replacing my electronic keypad lock with a mechanical dial lock.

outlawfirearms

Marksman
Reaction score
Did the solenoid inside die? Was that the problem all along?
I believe that was the problem. I tried the troubleshooting steps recommended by Cannon and that didn't work. The reason I firmly believe it was the solenoid, or board inside the safe, is when an identical working keypad would not activate the solenoid to open the safe.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't want to do it yourself, you should give Mark Wells at Safe 1 a call. I listed his phone number in my previous post. He did a good job replacing my electronic keypad lock with a mechanical dial lock.
I'm a long ways from Midwest city. Between 150-200 miles one way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom