Savage Model BAS-K .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor69

New to the site!
Reaction score
I found this site during a during a discussion about the Savage 10 BAS and there were nay sayers aplenty. Now I cant find those threads any more so here is what I found out about the rifle.
OK I am a Red Leg and belong to the Chatham Artillery. I live in Savannah Ga.
So why in the hell would I be on here you ask, well I have lived and taught at I See Oh Hall at Ft Sill and lived in Medicine park, & Fletcher with one of my (few) long time brothers Tim and his beautiful wife Jewel. We shoot, ride, work, and have lived with each other over the course of years so we share info and trade stories when we get together. When I go to my home of record Ft Worth Tx.
What got me on this site was the talk about the Savage 10 BAS and how it copied (said with tongue in cheek) this and that from other guns and my reply still stands; they (all gun companies) have been doing that since the beginning.
So why come back you ask.
Well after, after my purchase of the Savage 10 BAS I put one of my old Leopold MK 4s on the rifle and took it to the range to compare it with my Harris McMillan M-86. To start I shoot with other good friends here in Ga who work on the police force so I use Factory 175 gr BT ammo for most of my testing I will also use the 168 which very close to the same POI.
After setting up on the range it was 86 F wind very light around 4-6 mph from our 0530. Pretty good conditions over all for the short range 100yd shooting. after getting it zero'd at 50 we moved back to 100 and to test out my failing eyes I put a small copper coin on the bull and wanted to put a head shot in for true satisfaction.
Now I put my mat down, laid the rifle on the bypod opened the bolt, took my wind readings took the ribbings about a space gun and what kind of ray it shot etc... then as I laid down slipped the magazine into the snug welcoming entrance, I took my been bag and gave it a little squeeze to get a stable sight picture, and squeezed the nice crisp trigger, and it and the next 4 rds went through the same hole in the coin, My 5th shot went through the same hole in the target but the coin had popped forward and it skimmed the side of the coin. total hole size 3/8 inch.
We then moved to the 200,300,500,750yd ranges and since I didn't have my dope for this rifle yet I used the card for my M-86 and it was close enough for me to hit a 22 inch target at 750yds with a lft to rt wind of (by now) 5-9 mph with each of 5 rds.
Hopefully I can do better after the rest of the break in period.
bottom line. It is on par with my favorite rifle out of the box (with added optics of course), and I would say that I decided then and there to go ahead and dress it up with Camo paint and add it to my drag around collection. But hey I think they must have copied the accuracy from other rifles as well "CHUCKLE", so to those who say its a copy please go try it and then like my favorite pistol, the most copied ever Mr Brownings 1911, you will see that it is a sound stable shooting platform.
Oh yes I did put some of the foam from the packaging under the shaky cheek pad and now it is spot on.
Exhale, squeeze, feel a slight recoil, and watch the bad guy go away!

Latest posts

Top Bottom