SBS Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
I have zero knowledge or experience with class 3 type guns so I apologize if these are stupid questions.

I want to buy a SBS for my father in law as a gift. Is this possible without him filling out the required paperwork?

This gun is going to be a personal protection gun for his motorhome so smaller is better. I am pretty sure I want a pistol grip gun with 3-4 round capacity.

Is there a general rule of thumb for length of barrel for capacity X?

What are the pros/cons of pistol grip vs standard stock on an SBS?

Where can I get one from locally?

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to buy a SBS for my father in law as a gift. Is this possible without him filling out the required paperwork?

Sorry, but no. The paperwork is required. It would cost $200.00 for the transfer. If you were to buy it, it costs you $200.00 to transfer to you. Then another $200.00 to transfer to your father. You may be able to form a trust and name him on it as well and possibly avoid this.

This gun is going to be a personal protection gun for his motorhome so smaller is better. I am pretty sure I want a pistol grip gun with 3-4 round capacity.

Since you mentioned "motorhome" be very familiar with the laws regarding transportation of both firearms and NFA items. SBS is not legal in all states.

Is there a general rule of thumb for length of barrel for capacity X?

Not that I'm aware of.

What are the pros/cons of pistol grip vs standard stock on an SBS?

Portability more than anything. If it was manufactured from a virgin receiver and has never had a buttstock installed and will never have a buttstock installed, it would be a AOW with a $5.00 transfer fee. If there is a buttstock installed, it would be a SBS with a $200.00 transfer fee.

Where can I get one from locally?

There are several members on this board who are dealers/manufacturers who could help you out. Or, you just do a Form-1 and make your own.

My suggestion. Since you mentioned motorhome and defense, I would go with a non-NFA shotgun with your choice of a buttstock or pistol grip. Fewer problems dealing with regulatory laws and transportation. Keep in mind also that heaven forbid he should have to use it, it will be taken as evidence by the police and you may or may not get it back depending on what the Judge says. Also think about what the media will say. "Man shoots intruder with "sawed off shotgun", news at 6". It doesn't matter if it was legal or not, they're going to use what they can get the most mileage out of.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only way for him to have an SBS in his possession without personally filling out the paperwork would be for you to set up a Trust and name you and him as officers of the trust (he'd still have to sign the trust before you submitted it to ATF). My wife and I are officers of our Trust and either she or I can possess the NFA items on that Trust without the other present. I'd check with a knowledgable dealer or ATF to see if there would be any issues with you and your father living in separate residences being officers together on an NFA Trust. The NFA firearm is intended to be kept at the address listed on the paperwork and you're supposed to notify them of any permanent change of address where the firearm is kept.

Does your father travel from state to state in the motor home? If so, keep in mind that you must notify ATF when taking the firearm out of the state of residence for any period of time, and some states do not allow SBS's.

If you still want to pursue this, take a look at a Serbu Super Shorty, which is a 3 shot 870 with a pistol grip. You can also set up a "witness protection" style 870 that will hold another round or two. You can even make your own on a Form 1. After the ATF approves, you can take a regular shotgun and saw off the barrel and add a pistol grip.

I much prefer an SBS with a collapsible or fixed shoulder stock. they're much easier to use effectively and with a folder, don't take up much more room when folded than a regular pistol gripped SBS.

Here's a thread that shows a lot of tactical and a few SBS shotguns. http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23251

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Since you mentioned "motorhome" be very familiar with the laws regarding transportation of both firearms and NFA items. SBS is not legal in all states.

This is very important, and should be looked into before making the purchase.