Science Journals closing down because of over 11,000 fraudulent study papers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't trust science anymore (nothing new, huh)

Article from the Wall Street Journal

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mar...-forces-multiple-journal-closures/ar-BB1mmDKS

First 3 paragraphs:

Flood of Fake Science Forces Multiple Journal Closures​

Fake studies have flooded the publishers of top scientific journals leading to thousands of retractions and millions of dollars in lost revenue. The biggest hit has come to Wiley, a 217-year-old publisher based in Hoboken, N.J., which Tuesday will announce that it is closing 19 journals, some of which were infected by large-scale research fraud.

In the past two years, Wiley has retracted more than 11,300 papers that appeared compromised, according to a spokesperson, and closed four journals. It isn’t alone: At least two other publishers have retracted hundreds of suspect papers each. Several others have pulled smaller clusters of bad papers.

Although this large-scale fraud represents a small percentage of submissions to journals, it threatens the legitimacy of the nearly $30 billion academic publishing industry and the credibility of science as a whole.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fauci Obey.jpg

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The 19 journals were all previously owned by Hindawi, an Egyptian publishing company with a portfolio of about 250 journals that Wiley purchased in 2021. A Wiley spokesperson acknowledged that some of the journals had been impacted by fraudulent studies, but attributed the closures to other factors, such as low submission rates."

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/quick-takes/2024/05/15/wiley-shutter-19-journals

I think that the laws of physics, chemistry, and engineering sciences still hold true, regardless of the closing down of some journals. So I'm not worried that some cases of fraudulent studies were discovered and acknowledged.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It doesn't take much anymore to get something published. Hell, I'm published, but it's been so long I can't even remember which journal it went into, I just linked a conference it was presented at. The whole publish or perish system is part of the problem, so much pressure to get your name out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom