Scope keeps getting rattled loose...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a red dot scope on my AR, took it to the range today to sight it in and all I did was shake it up real good. I need to loctite the screws that hold it on to keep them from loosening up. I have been told that there is a certain kind of loctite that works well for this purpose, because it will keep them from rattling loose but not permanently cease them up. Can anybody tell me what it's called and where you can get it?

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks that's what I needed to know. I knew there was one kind that would lock them up forever and then the other kind, I didn't want to use the wrong stuff.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never tried this, but I know some people use fingernail polish as loctite. From what they say, it holds well enough to keep stuff from backing out, but it is very easy to then break loose when you need to.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
lol, yeah... that red stuff can be hard to undo... :)

Glad you asked first.

If one does make a mistake and use the red stuff, a little heat will soften it up, as long as where your putting the heat does not adversly affect parts around it. I have a little propane powered soldering iron that has a pin point torch head on it that can be applied directly to the head of the screw, without a lot of heat going elsewhere. Please don't ask me how I know this.:uhh:

Bushman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Loctite sells a solvent to release the threads. Blue is medium, red is high strength. A dab will do it, don't coat the hole thing. Finger nail polish remover is acetone and will release superglue from threads or locks.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha - lots of good advice in here. Much of it appears to be acquired in the same manner that I typically learn lessons..... life experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom