Seasonal Allergies Are Whoopin My Butt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried and used just about everything recommended. When none of them help and I'm about dead I go to the doctor and get a Kenelog shot which helps the most (I've also gotten Depomedral shots). Both are steroids but sometimes it's the only thing that works and can start my recovery from allergies.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the antihistamines and steroids do is block or mask the symptoms created by the allergens. It's really helpful to flush your sinuses a couple of times a day. I use this:

pics1.ds_static.com_prodimg_148008_300.jpg

It's more expensive than using a neti pot, but I've heard of people getting infections from improperly sanitized tap water or pots.

scube

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allegra D in the AM, zyrtec in the evening. Sinus douches 2 times a day helps some. I can't do the steroids too much, already prone to nosebleeds and those just thin the mucous membrane too much. Nasalcrom is a mast cell stabalizer, basically makes it harder for the cell that release the histamine to break open. Works good but have to use it 3+ times a day and takes a couple weeks for results.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put up with bad allergies my whole life until last year. I was the worst I knew of. I literally had a bottle of allergy pills stashed everywhere. In my bathroom, kitchen, at work, in both vehicles. Then, last spring, they all but disappeared. The one thing I had done different was I saw a Dr. (for a general checkup) and discovered my vitamin B and D levels were low. I started taking a daily supplement for those 2 things. Thats the only change I had made in my diet. Just a coincidence?? Dont know, but this spring is shaping up to be allergy free as well and I'm still taking a B complex and 2000 iu of D every morning. Wont hurt to check on those with a simple blood test.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allegra D in the AM, zyrtec in the evening. Sinus douches 2 times a day helps some. I can't do the steroids too much, already prone to nosebleeds and those just thin the mucous membrane too much. Nasalcrom is a mast cell stabalizer, basically makes it harder for the cell that release the histamine to break open. Works good but have to use it 3+ times a day and takes a couple weeks for results.

Nosebleeds is how I know I need to start using meds each season... or used to. Now I pretty much take it year-round.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been prone to nosebleeds forever. Flonase actually seems help. I have them way less often after starting Flonase.

That **** is a miracle to me. I really don't care about possible side effects because I'd want to kill myself several months of the year without Flonase.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been prone to nosebleeds forever. Flonase actually seems help. I have them way less often after starting Flonase.

That **** is a miracle to me. I really don't care about possible side effects because I'd want to kill myself several months of the year without Flonase.

Ed Zachary... alot of people attribute nosebleeds to their nose/sinuses being "dried out". In actuality, especially during allergy season, a lot of people have swollen, and engorged turbinates inside the nose that makes the tissue friable and prone to breakage and bleeding. The increased bloodflow to the area contributes to the drainage, but people are always complaining about being "stuffy", but no matter how how much they blow their nose, it never clears. This is because of the swollen, engorged tissue inside the nose. Allergy meds help block some of this, thus reducing the drainage and stuffiness. I've also found ibuprofen helps my stuffiness a lot by reducing this inflammation and swelling in addition to allergy meds.

BTW, anyone know the #1 and #2 cause of a chronic cough? Give ya a hint, neither of them have anything to do with the lungs.... :D

1. post-nasal drip

2. GERD

Latest posts

Top Bottom