Shipping ammo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so i sold some ammo on here (just two boxes) and need to ship it. i couldnt find anything specific to oklahoma, but it seems that it is illegal to ship it through USPS, but its ok to ship through UPS? is this correct? and do i need to let them know that it is ammo im shipping? is there any type of extra charge for shipping ammo?

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No extra charges. Ship it UPS or Fedex Ground (not air or anything via USPS). The outside of the package MUST have the following: "ORM-D" and typically centered below it "Small Arms Ammunition". Use a sturdy box if possible.

With that done, you don't need to do anything special with the package, although it is highly recommended that you drop it off directly at the UPS or Fedex place. Some of the "UPS Store" type places won't ship ammo. If you have a way of printing prepaid UPS or Fedex labels, that will simplify the process when dropping the package. Not all clerks are aware of shipping regulations concerning ammo (so they say you can not ship it without an FFL or some other nonsense).

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With UPS, there is a special sticker that is put on the outside of the package to let them know it is explosive/hazardous materials, and then they will ship it. Not sure about additional fees.

Twmaster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also note that any parcel labeled as ORM-D cannot be shipped by air. You can ship ORM-D products via USPS parcel post. However I cannot say whether ammunition is specifically barred.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow, alright so.....i was on my way to look for a ups store to ship the two boxes of .204 ammo. i already had them in a small box with the labels taped on the side that tyromeo posted. as im on my way to look for a ups store i see a fedex store instead, so im like hey! ill just go there! so i go in there and tell the guy what im shipping and he's like uh...do u have a license, and i say, no im just shipping ammo, no gun parts or anything like that. i said i looked online and from what i found it was alright to ship ammo as long as this sticker was on it. he says oh well, alright then ill just stick it in this bag and ship it that way theres no hassle or any problems with it being ammo. im thinking......hmm well w/e, hes the one doing it so not my fault i guess. so anyway ive got everything filled out and im ready to pay and im thinking this should be somewhere around $8 maybe and $10 at the very most. he says ok that will be $19.54. im like GEEZUS!!! i only sold the ammo for $20. lol. lesson learned i guess. i will never use fedex for anything again and i will never ship any more ammo!!!

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That sounds high for FedEx Ground. Did he send it as an overnight delivery? If so, the package may actually be going by air. That could be a problem. I think you have to have IATA Training in order to ship hazardous materials by air.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My local Fedex agency would not accept ammunition - they stated I required HAZMAT certification to ship. UPS accepted the ammo with a ORD-M label on two sides of the box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom