Shipping Insurance???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy a firearm from an online dealer, and have it shipped to a local FFL.

Well, I go through the order process, and they mention "free shipping" on the order. When it comes time to check out, they have an option for $16 for "shipping insurance"! Thats almost as much as shipping would actually cost! Is it necessary to do this, or is the dealer still liable for my purchase? In other words, if it were to somehow get lost in transit and the local FFL never got it, could the online dealer just say too bad?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could certainly have it charged back on your credit card if your dealer never received your gun. They may try to claim you should have insured it, but it's not your responsibility to make certain the purchase gets to you (IMNSHO). That is between the seller and the shipping company. You charge it back and get your money back, the seller fights it out with the shipping company.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$16 sounds expensive for insurance. I insure orders over $100. UPS covers the first $100, over $100 in value is $0.99 up to $1000, then it's an additional $.25 per $100.

Granted, the shipper should be responsible, but $.99 for piece of mind is a worthwhile expense IMHO. $16 I would be questioning the shipper or buying elsewhere.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insurance covers the shipper not the recipient.

The problem is YOU OWN IT, they have your money, you are insuring your property, in their eyes. I agree, it should be their responsibility to get it to you, but for a dollar or two, I'll take the piece of mind.

I shipped a small antique from Las Vegas to myself, did not want to carry onto airline. Packed extremely well and insured. Airline wanted $50 for added luggage, UPS shipping was $25 + $6 insurance. Flew home, got the UPS package 2 days later. Piece of mind, plus the insured amount was more than I paid for the item. Almost wished they had lost or damaged it.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't own it until you take delivery. You are paying them for the item and delivery. If it never shows they haven't fulfilled their part of the contract and you are due a refund. One reason I don't buy guns with MO. Amex, MC, Visa all understand that the seller is responsible if the item isn't delivered and will conduct a chargeback in those cases.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't own it until you take delivery. You are paying them for the item and delivery. If it never shows they haven't fulfilled their part of the contract and you are due a refund. One reason I don't buy guns with MO. Amex, MC, Visa all understand that the seller is responsible if the item isn't delivered and will conduct a chargeback in those cases.

This.

If you don't get your item, then claim a chargeback. Simple.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think of it like Gunworld taking your money, running your 4473, you getting delayed, and them not giving you your gun after 3 days or NICS approval. Do they do it? Yep. Is it legal? Hell no. Do they write a check the second they are served with papers for small claims court? If they are smart.

Latest posts

Top Bottom