Shocking discovery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjasonc

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year, I was on a flight to Detroit on business and sat down next to a kid from Detroit that was flying back home alone. I shared my tablet, we took turns playing temple run, he must have been about 10 years old and was nice and well mannered. His parents had sent him out of town to be with grandparents for the summer. When he found out where I was from and that it was my first trip to Detroit he became concerned. He wanted to make sure I knew not to go into certain parts of Detroit. I told him I wasn't actually staying in Detroit and that seemed to satisfy him that I'd "probably" be fine then. I didn't run into any issues at all and I try to remain vigilant and aware of my surroundings anyway but there was something about having someone so young concerned about my safety. It certainly heightened my awareness but more than that it highlighted the challenges he would face growing up in that environment.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We may be looking at the first concrete examples of "survival put into practice".

I kinda thought that same thing. And I was pleasantly surprised to find that it seems my theory as to how things might work out holds some water. I've always believed that neighborhoods would band together and while it might be nice to have "like-minded" friends to shoot the breeze with, in times of real trouble it would be important to be able to work with those closest in proximity to you. It seemed to me like this is EXACTLY what is happening in Detroit. Neighborhoods are banding together to work on their problems and anyone considered a "foreigner" needs to be careful how they conduct themselves outside their own particular "hood" ...

To that end, I may not like all my neighbors, but I do KNOW all my neighbors ... And I'm cordial with all of them irregardless of how much they may or may not irritate me for one reason or another. :)

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To that end, I may not like all my neighbors, but I do KNOW all my neighbors ... And I'm cordial with all of them irregardless of how much they may or may not irritate me for one reason or another. :)

Maybe I need to "hook up" and move over there. You know, you might just need one more to irritate you. And, I can move pretty easily.

Seriously, outside of Oklahoma City, I've not lived in very many "big" cities. Back in the '60's, I was impressed with how clean and friendly San Francisco was. I think it was '69 when the "BIG ONE" was supposed to happen that all the hippies began moving to Colorado. The citizens of San Francisco rented a drive in theater, everyone duded up in their tuxes and ball dresses and had an overnight party by showing a movie about the earthquake of the 1800's. The party ran past 5:00 am, which was the time that the "BIG ONE" was supposed to happen.

If nothing else, they got rid of the hippies, but other weirdos moved in to replace them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom