Shooting Irons is fun stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I made it out to the range today with my two sons and my new build and my youngster's new build. I wanted to test out the new upper and since I'm still wavering on what optic to get next, I basically have one complete set of BUIS, one rear Matech, and one optic.

I had to do something to get my youngest son's AR shooting and mine too. I debated as to whether or not to make him learn on Irons or just get him used to shooting an AR with an optic and make him learn Irons after he gets a good feel for it.

I ended up giving him my optic and just used my Irons (my Oldest Son's Remington 700 stayed at the house this time and they just spent time alternating between loading mags and shooting their AR). I've been wanting to get back into shooting with my Irons again and I figured that this would force me to do so. I haven't had a center-fire rifle that I really knew how to shoot with just Irons since my early 20s.

My eyes aren't what they used to be and at first, it was a little difficult to sight it in with just Irons and no optic, but it eventually started to come back to me and I started hitting a pretty good pattern at 100yds. I took some shots at 230yds, but they weren't as consistent (a few of those longer shots really surprised me as to how accurate this upper is).

I'd forgotten how much fun shooting just plain Irons was. Past 100 yards and my eyes feel like they're beginning to fail me, but to be honest, I've just depended on an optic for so long that maybe I just need to get used to being without one again.

This really made me consider getting a Leupold scout-style scope with a LaRue mount that allows for repeatable zero so I can remove the scope and shoot with just BUIS and replace for when I need to reach out there.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you run a zero magnification in co-witness or lower 1/3 co-witness, you can just turn off the dot and exercise your iron sight skills. Definitely a good thing to do now and then.

I'm going to try and pick up an XS Systems CSAT rear aperture from Dave Biggers at the HAVA event here in a couple of weeks. It looks like the hot ticket for CQB irons. Not having to worry about mechanical offset up close would be nice.

http://www.xssights.com/store/CSAT.html

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GTG...that is sweet! I would love to hear what you think about it once you've tried it out a bit.

If it works as advertised, it's a helluva $35 upgrade.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shot with it at the IDPA Nationals rifle side match and it seemed to work as advertised. I'll know better once I get it mounted on one of my rifles. :)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you run a zero magnification in co-witness or lower 1/3 co-witness, you can just turn off the dot and exercise your iron sight skills. Definitely a good thing to do now and then.

I'm going to try and pick up an XS Systems CSAT rear aperture from Dave Biggers at the HAVA event here in a couple of weeks. It looks like the hot ticket for CQB irons. Not having to worry about mechanical offset up close would be nice.

http://www.xssights.com/store/CSAT.html

I had that setup, but I kept turning on the optic like a wuss.

That CSAT looks pretty friggin awesome - you may have just spent $35 of my money right there man.

Latest posts

Top Bottom