shooting tc katahdin 47/70

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i had a contender carbine in 45/70 16" with a muzzle brake, kicked like a mule and ungodly loud.i shot a doe with it and my half a sleep nephew fell out of a tree stand 100 yards away

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot 45-70 in both a 95 Marlin Rifle length lever action and a NEF Handy Rifle. The Handy is very painful to shoot in 45-70 even with light loads and light bullets. I make a trip to Alaska every year for a couple of weeks and the 45-70 is my mainstay for a rifle. Over the years I have talked with numerous hunters and guides and they universally say that a big hard cast bullet in the 45-70 is what they prefer for all the big game they come up against in Alaska. Most of my plinking is with 330 grain hard cast bullets, and the bullet I use for Alaska in the 405 grain round nose flat point hard cast bullet. I have been shooting 55 grains of IMR-4198 behind the 330 grain bullet and 50 grains of IMR-4198 benind the 405 grain bullet. (Standard large rifle primers in both..) Those are safe in my 1895ss rifle but I started about 10%down and worked up looking for accuracy and pressure signs. Your TC Rifle should be somewhat stronger than my lever gun. I would never shoot any of the above loads in my handy rifle. I tend to stay with loads published for the old trapdoor springfields for it as they don't abuse you quite as much. Good luck with the load development. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom