Single Action Pistols

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a new G19 that Im hitting low most of the time. I think that Im pulling down when taking up all the slack in the douvle action of the glock G19. I ahve shoot single action pistols in the past and never had this problem. I am thinking about getting a 1911 and doing some comparisons. Are there other semi autos I can look at? Or do you think that I should start trying to train myself on the double action trigger some more. I thought I could get used tom it but it is not working for me. The pistol would be for defensive perposes and not CC.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i would say just practice with it more. the trigger on the glock isn't nearly as long as the double action trigger on a da/sa auto. I personally don't feel like it should be called a double action at all because of how short the pull is.

if you keep practicing and still don't like it then i'm sure you won't have trouble selling it on here to fund the 1911. you should also check out the browning hi-power if you really just want a single action.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it is less noticeable in a heavy single-action pistol, "milking" the grip, or tightening all the fingers on the firing hand is a bad habit tht will cause erraic low shots. A proper grip and trigger control will eliminate the problem.
The support hand should be 70% of the grip, and only the trigger finger should tighten on the firing hand, pulling the trigger straight back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Yohikhl9_c

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how quickly you're firing but that could influence the advice you need to receive. Is this slow fire, or are you trying to dump a bunch of rounds on target as quickly as you can?

These are things I have been told, but I'm a piss poor shot so take it with a grain of salt:

1) When you want to watch TV, remove the magazine, clear the weapon, and then "shoot" at your TV.
Dry fire the piss out of your weapon. This makes pulling the trigger as natural as scratching your butt.

2) When you're at the range, pull smoothly and a bit slower than normal and let the break come as a surprise to you. Just keep your front site on the 10 ring and keep that trigger moving back until it goes bang. Don't worry about *when* it goes bang, just keep that front site on the target until the trigger breaks. Then you can start speeding it up.

If you're having problems getting #2 done then you need a pistol class like the ones at H&H. If you're inexperienced in general, I feel it's important that you get the most up-to-date training and don't ingrain any bad habits into your shooting style.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guns have numerous safety devices. One of the SA's safety devices is your thumb cocking the hammer. A semi-auto has slack to take-up.

Your SA's triggers have no slack or take-up to contend with. Any semi-auto will have the aforementioned. The Glocks slack is more obvious than some 1911's. Try consciously first taking the slack out; this gets you to the same trigger break "wall" that you have with your cocked SA's.

After slack out, re-verify your sights and complete the trigger press, while concentrating on the front sight.

Try it a bunch of times dry fire, then go to the range for live fire.

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first time I shot a G19, I couldn't seem to hit a paper plate at 30ft. I got frustrated and sold it. That was about 20yrs ago. I was used to shooting revolvers and 1911s.

A couple of years ago I decided to give the glock another try. I still couldn't hit very well with it. Off a bench it was quite accurate so, I new it was me and not the gun that was a problem. This was true with the first G19 also but, I was too impatient to learn to shoot it well.

Now after a couple of years practice, the G19 is one of my favorite pistols. My 1911 is still my first choice but, the G19 is not far behind.

Latest posts

Top Bottom