Smith and Wesson knocked it out of the park with this one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll be the odd man out. Pistol grip stocks just look wrong on lever guns.
Lever actions with straight grip stocks seem more traditional and shoulder and point quicker for me.
I saw one of the new S&W lever actions stainless and black plastic stock at the last Tulsa big show. Didn't cycle the action (zip tie) but it seemed nice.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As a classic lever should be.

I have glass on a Marlin M-24. Savage 99 and Browning BLR, maybe even a Henry Long Range.

I have worn glasses for almost 60 years and age hasn't helped, but I don't care the looks of a scoped classic style lever.
Some of us have issues with seeing the front sight. Comes with age mostly.
I agree, a lever gun should be fired with irons if the shooter can do it. It's a historical thing.
If not, do what one can do to get to the range and continue to shoot.
That reminds me of when Oklahoma was going to legalize cross bows for non-disabled persons.
The consensus among the bowhunters was that wasn't "traditional".
They didn't take into account that a lot of former bow hunters couldn't pull a compound anymore because of age or disabilities while those complaining were shooting a modern compound bow with let-off, sights and so on. That change in the law put tens of thousands of older hunters and hunters with disabilities back into the field.
The shooting/hunting world will continue to evolve.
I will respect tradition as long as it keeps me in the field/range but will also evolve with technology when necessary.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of us have issues with seeing the front sight. Comes with age mostly.
I agree, a lever gun should be fired with irons if the shooter can do it. It's a historical thing.
If not, do what one can do to get to the range and continue to shoot.
That reminds me of when Oklahoma was going to legalize cross bows for non-disabled persons.
The consensus among the bowhunters was that wasn't "traditional".
They didn't take into account that a lot of former bow hunters couldn't pull a compound anymore because of age or disabilities while those complaining were shooting a modern compound bow with let-off, sights and so on. That change in the law put tens of thousands of older hunters and hunters with disabilities back into the field.
The shooting/hunting world will continue to evolve.
I will respect tradition as long as it keeps me in the field/range but will also evolve with technology when necessary.

I agree wholeheartedly. Shoot what you want, how you want.

In my college days, we had a gentleman (around our age now) that hunted with a '94 Winchester. 30-30. I believe, the only gun he owned. He was complaining of seeing several deer that were "too far" for him shoot. (80-120 yards).
Asked him, " why not get a scoped rifle?"

"Scopes make a rifle top heavy, unbalanced and causes it to shake and waver on target."

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Lever actions with straight grip stocks seem more traditional and shoulder and point quicker for me.
I saw one of the new S&W lever actions stainless and black plastic stock at the last Tulsa big show. Didn't cycle the action (zip tie) but it seemed nice.
Tell that to my Marlin 39; it has a very traditional pistol grip stock.
“The Marlin 39A is the oldest and longest continuously produced shoulder firearm in the world.”