Smith and Wesson knocked it out of the park with this one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no problem with putting optics on new/newer production guns, especially if they're drilled and tapped from the factory. I would not do it to an antique, like the Winchester 1892 in .25-20 that I'll most likely inherit from my father.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They need to make it in .500 S&W and .460 S&W.
This. They jumped on a bandwagon that has a full head of steam. And are totally neglecting the part of the market that is begging for S&W cartridges in lever guns that nobody else will make. I keep hoping since Ruger took over the Marlin line they will correct this.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. They jumped on a bandwagon that has a full head of steam. And are totally neglecting the part of the market that is begging for S&W cartridges in lever guns that nobody else will make. I keep hoping since Ruger took over the Marlin line they will correct this.
You could spend $3,500 on a Big Horn Armory rifle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Y'all keep in mind that scopes have been in use since 1776. Granted the first was a telescope mounted on a rifle, but it was an optic and at the shot the shooter experienced the first case of scope bite.
Never feel bad about mounting an optic on a classic firearm. It wouldn't shock me to see some specialty builders out there try to make imitations of the early 1800's era glass with modern glass in them if that's not already happening.
Here is a little reading opportunity.

https://hi-luxoptics.com/blogs/history/an-early-history-of-rifle-scopes-1776-1930