So you like Airbnb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have used Airbnb twice. I prefer to take my travel trailer, that's what I got it for.
Otherwise, Best Western and Travel Lodge do just fine for a few days.

I feel like the urban legends and scare stories are way worse than the actual problem I am not concerned, but I perform a quick scan.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We actually use Airbnb and VRBO quite a bit for weekend trips. Usually one to three nights. You do have to watch the fees closely. Some of them (like, often, cleaning fees) are exorbitant. The last one we rented had a flat rate, everything included, up front. They should all be required to do that. Never had any issues or found anything suspicious.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We actually use Airbnb and VRBO quite a bit for weekend trips. Usually one to three nights. You do have to watch the fees closely. Some of them (like, often, cleaning fees) are exorbitant. The last one we rented had a flat rate, everything included, up front. They should all be required to do that. Never had any issues or found anything suspicious.

Currently looking into using Abnb for about 3 months. Can you tell me where in the listing I can find the fees prior to booking?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Currently looking into using Abnb for about 3 months. Can you tell me where in the listing I can find the fees prior to booking?

IIRC, you will have to pick a property, click on it, select the dates you want and then you can check availability and pricing. It seems like it varies by listing. Some of them don't, or at least didn't, disclose all fees until you actually tried to book. But, as long as you haven't given them a card number yet, you're not on the hook. That last place we booked allowed pets, but the fee for pets was terribly high, way higher than what it would cost to board your pet. So, our dog stayed home!

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can send them your number in the email. You have to hind your number or email in the box. Talk to them off of air d and d chat site. You can get cheaper rates that way. If you can get a camper depending where you’re going. That’s your best bet. Some camp sites have cabins for rent. Most hotels offer a month to month. A lot of apartment have a month to month deal too. It all depends on where you’re going and the life style you want to have away from home. I have been working on the road too long. I have found lost of short cuts. Well cheapest way to live.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can send them your number in the email. You have to hind your number or email in the box. Talk to them off of air d and d chat site. You can get cheaper rates that way. If you can get a camper depending where you’re going. That’s your best bet. Some camp sites have cabins for rent. Most hotels offer a month to month. A lot of apartment have a month to month deal too. It all depends on where you’re going and the life style you want to have away from home. I have been working on the road too long. I have found lost of short cuts. Well cheapest way to live.

Consulting on a giant project in Central TX. Was supposed to be there July 5. Looking like Sept 5 now. Delay after delay after delay.

Not as easy to find a place as some would make it seem, particularly anywhere close to a project like that. It's a struggle. I'm a little pissed at myself for accepting the job. I'm retired because I don't wanna work, and now I've done this. Not very bright.

Hotel ain't gonna work for me, and I don't wanna buy a trailer, but I'm considering it. Gotta have wifi and a washer dryer cause it's 90-120 days, 6-7 days a week depending on progress. Every time I've found a place that looks like it will work there is a delay, and by the time I get a new schedule the home I was looking at is unavailable. This whole thing is just a complete cluster. Should have my keister kicked.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Done a lot of wind Projects in Texas. i know the filling. I’m in Michigan and i couldn't find a place to put my camper. So I had to air b and b it this time. I just found a way to give them my number and email. If they contact me. I work a deal with them. But I will say I prefer my camper.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Done a lot of wind Projects in Texas. i know the filling. I’m in Michigan and i couldn't find a place to put my camper. So I had to air b and b it this time. I just found a way to give them my number and email. If they contact me. I work a deal with them. But I will say I prefer my camper.

I admire guys that have the grit to work on the road like that. My dad pushed tools and I roughnecked some, so I’ve lived mobile before. It isn’t ideal.

I really don’t need much, but will be working nights. I need a quiet place during the day to sleep and the ability to wash my clothes and I have to send daily reports so a home in a quiet hood/country with a washer/dryer and Wi-Fi. Not as easy to find as you would think.

Never used it before, but there are a ton of “Room in ‘name of TX town’”. Who TF rents out a bedroom in their house to anyone with a valid credit card #? I don’t even answer the door without a gun in my hand anymore. That’s just nutz. There’s a serial killer on every 3rd street corner and people are renting out a spare bedroom to strangers? I don’t think so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom