SOD (DEA) Violating Citizens' Right To Fair Trial

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCorrigan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/05/us-dea-sod-idUSBRE97409R20130805

'The undated documents show that federal agents are trained to "recreate" the investigative trail to effectively cover up where the information originated, a practice that some experts say violates a defendant's Constitutional right to a fair trial. If defendants don't know how an investigation began, they cannot know to ask to review potential sources of exculpatory evidence - information that could reveal entrapment, mistakes or biased witnesses.'

'A former federal agent in the northeastern United States who received such tips from SOD described the process. "You'd be told only, ‘Be at a certain truck stop at a certain time and look for a certain vehicle.' And so we'd alert the state police to find an excuse to stop that vehicle, and then have a drug dog search it," the agent said.'

'After an arrest was made, agents then pretended that their investigation began with the traffic stop, not with the SOD tip, the former agent said. The training document reviewed by Reuters refers to this process as "parallel construction."

The two senior DEA officials, who spoke on behalf of the agency but only on condition of anonymity, said the process is kept secret to protect sources and investigative methods. "Parallel construction is a law enforcement technique we use every day," one official said. "It's decades old, a bedrock concept."'

""That's outrageous," said Tampa attorney James Felman, a vice chairman of the criminal justice section of the American Bar Association. "It strikes me as indefensible."

Lawrence Lustberg, a New Jersey defense lawyer, said any systematic government effort to conceal the circumstances under which cases begin "would not only be alarming but pretty blatantly unconstitutional."

'"I have never heard of anything like this at all," said Nancy Gertner, a Harvard Law School professor who served as a federal judge from 1994 to 2011. Gertner and other legal experts said the program sounds more troubling than recent disclosures that the National Security Agency has been collecting domestic phone records. The NSA effort is geared toward stopping terrorists; the DEA program targets common criminals, primarily drug dealers.'

'"It was an amazing tool," said one recently retired federal agent. "Our big fear was that it wouldn't stay secret."

So, NSA uses a spy-net to gather everyone's phone calls and internet data. Then, using this data, an agent from SOD notifies local to police, but doesn't really give them much information, just where to be and when to be there. Local police do the busting, but then at the perp's trial, no one gets any of the information about how the bust actually started? So....lying to judges and prosecutors is yet another immunity granted to LEO's?

JimCorrigan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Sorry, moneybags, didn't see your post. Hell, this stuff should be reposted a thousand times....man oh man. Are we going to have to overturn all the convictions based on these phony trials? Would we have any proof on who was wrongfully tried?

Perhaps there are some people with LE experience who would like to share their story of any SOD case they've worked? Were they told specifically to lie? This is starting to confirm some of my (and many other citizens) deepest fears, that at the end of the day, local police are just the dogs used by agencies higher up on the food chain. You get an order, you carry it out. Lie, cheat, steal, kill, do what you're told. I mean, we know from former LEO whistleblowers that this is what happens, but I mean, look at all those even on this board who try to deny it...

Latest posts

Top Bottom