"Sporting Purposes"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a pretty good paper on the absurdness of the "sporting purposes" argument the anti's scream about (which is only mentioned in the GCA for imported weapons anyway). It's also a good argument against gun control in general

http://www.saf.org/journal/6/6_Covey.pdf

Prior to reading this, I wasn't aware of the fact that "well regulated militia" actually meant "well trained/disciplined militia". I know, shame on me...

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd Amendment was not developed to protect the freedoms of hunters and sportsmen, any more than the first amendment was developed to protect the freedoms of novelists.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2nd Amendment was not developed to protect the freedoms of hunters and sportsmen, any more than the first amendment was developed to protect the freedoms of novelists.

:) I like this!

Interesting article by the OP. I've seen a few others similar over the years and it's important reminder that we not allow people to get sidetracked by the typical political affimation towards "hunting" such as even the likes of John Kerry attempted to use. Politicians will play to the emotions of gun owners with the hunting speak, and while it's also certainly a passion of mine, they know full well that they are trying to change what the 2A means by consistantly referring to it in those terms.

Ever vigilant... lest we will lose them.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep waiting for the "Sporting purposes" definition to cause a stir with the Saiga's. Now that there's been a drum magazine invented for them, I keep waiting for BATFE to make the Saiga shotgun a Destructive Device and require registration. How long ago was it that they required registration of the "Street sweeper.?

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re: "Sporting Purposes"
I keep waiting for the "Sporting purposes" definition to cause a stir with the Saiga's. Now that there's been a drum magazine invented for them, I keep waiting for BATFE to make the Saiga shotgun a Destructive Device and require registration. How long ago was it that they required registration of the "Street sweeper?

The USAS-12, Striker and Street Sweeper were declared DD's 17 years ago by ATF rulings 94-1 and 94-2. I too cannot believe that they have not done this to the Saiga's yet.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-appendix-b.pdf

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom