SPP in 357 mag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am wanting to load some 357 mag with CFE pistol.
I only have small pistol primers at the moment, but the books use small pistol magnum primers.

I've done a little research online and found that when using powder that burns fast, smaller powder amounts are needed to achieve required pressures, therefore magnum primers are not necessary. But if using a powder that burns slow, magnum primers are called for to ignite the larger amount of powder in each cartridge.

Does this make sense?
Anyone have wisdom to share?

Hodgdonreloading data online recommends starting loads using 6.7 grains of CFE Pistol with a 180grain bullet. Thats a pretty small amount for such a large cartridge (I think). Not an ideal powder, IMO since it would be easy to double charge. Anyways, I would like to know if I can use standard small pistol primers.
I have A#9 that I could also use.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know for fact but a friend told me with small amounts of powder.....it lays in the bottom of the cartridge therefore a Magnum primer is used where the ignition from a regular primer may shoot over the top of the powder.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One aspect of powder choice is that ball powders are normally harder to ignite and many times require hotter primers for proper ignition. You also don't want to reduce ball powder loads below published loads. Ball powders get very erratic with reduced loads and can get very dangerous. If the load you are using came from the manufacturers site, you should be safe and good to go.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One aspect of powder choice is that ball powders are normally harder to ignite and many times require hotter primers for proper ignition. You also don't want to reduce ball powder loads below published loads. Ball powders get very erratic with reduced loads and can get very dangerous. If the load you are using came from the manufacturers site, you should be safe and good to go.

This is consistent with what I've been reading. The load i posted is from the manufacturers site.

Thanks

Latest posts

Top Bottom