Spyderco "R" with Nishijin (glass-woven-fiber) scales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just got this guy today, and it's awesome. None of the pics I've seen online do it any justice at all.

Here's a couple of video reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6famI6-cAcE

This one has it laid out next to a Tenacious and Para-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-JQRGbwdIo[/QUOTE]

It is a whole lot of knife for the price - and it is a Sprint-run, so it won't be around forever. My only complaint would be that it might be a little too large for me (and only because it fits into "dress" or "classy" knives by my taste - and I usually prefer those to be a bit smaller). This is a big knife. It has a lot more blade-to-handle ratio than the majority of Spydies (a bit more blade length than the Para-2, but less handle).

Scales were beautiful indoors, but then I took them outside and looked at them in the sun... Holy crap there is some beautiful 3D detail underneath that glassy finish.

I'll say this though - it needs an uncoated matte clip badly (IMHO).

Here's pics. I'm still not capturing the overall look of the scales (part of that is because my greasy fingerprints are all over it).

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7009.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7008.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7005.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7003.jpg

Tried to get some different angles here (but the camera just doesn't pick up how cool these things look - the videos show it much better when it's moving and the light reveals all of that detail).

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN6998.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN6997.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN6995.jpg

The locking finger on the lockbar is a little longer than any of my other lock-back Spydercos, but to be fair - it is the largest lock-back I own (I don't have a Police or Endura to compare it to). When this thing engages, it makes a big fat "SNAP" and you know it's locked. It also requires you to push the lock-bar a tad further down than some of my other lock-backs before it disengages (and the spring is more than stiff enough to let you know it's got good tension). When it's locked, it's a bank-vault (no play in any direction).

I don't know if this is typical of larger lock-backs, but it would make sense to have a lock that's built a bit more stout since it is a larger knife. It's definitely not a bad thing, but it's just a little surprising how "over-built" it is - especially for being a very slim fancied up Sprint-run knife. The liners are almost as thick as those on my Superleaf. The blade-stock is a tad thinner than that of the Para-2's (which I think is 3mm, so the R is probably at 2-2.5mm? - man I need some calipers) so overall, its absolutely perfect for a large slicer, but being that it's a gorgeous Sprint-run that I can't just go out and replace in a few years, I'm hesitant to use it like it should be used (and I'm trying to avoid any shelf-knives now days). I fear that I may not keep this one for that reason alone. It is absolutely perfect for me in almost every way other than it contradicts my norm for a dress-knife.

I sold my CF Stretch for this same reason (but in reality, I sort miss it). This R fits my hand more perfectly than just about any other Spyderco I've handled.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice, love the handles. Collectible and occasional user knife?

Yeah, but there lies my conundrum. I don't have any collector-knives (anymore) and I use/carry everything I've got - but I can't bring myself to do that with this one, so I'm considering getting rid of it.

It's a larger knife than it looks. It's also a Sprint-run of only 600 (or 1200 depending on what Spyderco decides). It's Para-2 sized and since I already have more than a few knives in that size that are pretty much my work-horses, I don't really see myself using this one since it's limited/pretty.

But it's too large for my "sheeple" knife that I carry when in dress-clothes. If I whipped this out at Church, I'd probably have some heart-attacks to deal with.

I hate that fact because it fits my hand so perfectly - it's thinner than my other knives that are about the same size, so it's an excellent slicer. When closed, the knife is overall very thin for its length, which does make it very pocket-friendly, but if I can't use it as a dress-knife, then I'll probably not use it at all (I don't see myself skinning a deer, or doing any roofing with this one).

Then again, I can't make myself get in a hurry to sell it (again, because it's so perfect). It's strange that I use the hell out of my Sebenza (because there is literally thousands of them out there), but I can't seem to make myself do that with this R.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
:pissed::pissed:Yeah, but there lies my conundrum. I don't have any collector-knives (anymore) and I use/carry everything I've got - but I can't bring myself to do that with this one, so I'm considering getting rid of it.:screwy::screwy:

That'll learn ya to get rid of all your other knives!!!!!!!!LOL!!!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:pissed::pissed:Yeah, but there lies my conundrum. I don't have any collector-knives (anymore) and I use/carry everything I've got - but I can't bring myself to do that with this one, so I'm considering getting rid of it.:screwy::screwy:

That'll learn ya to get rid of all your other knives!!!!!!!!LOL!!!

I've still got one or two :)

Sadly, I let this one go already. My new policy is that if I won't use it on a regular basis, it gets traded/sold. I keep only my users, not the collectors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom