St. Patrick's Day grub.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Walmart with the better half yesterday to pick up a couple of prescriptions and went ahead and did a little shopping while there........saw a huge pile of corned beef back in the meat dept. and it dawned on us that St. Patrick's was getting close (come to find out it's today) so we picked up a pretty good size one to have leftovers for sandwiches.

We'll have the normal meal tonight with boiled cabbage, carrots and potatoes on the side and then I'll have a two or three thin sliced and piled high corned beef sandwiches later on........can't stand sauerkraut and no cheese just bread, meat and brown / horseradish mustard.

Looking forward to supper. :)

cbc.jpg

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Walmart with the better half yesterday to pick up a couple of prescriptions and went ahead and did a little shopping while there........saw a huge pile of corned beef back in the meat dept. and it dawned on us that St. Patrick's was getting close (come to find out it's today) so we picked up a pretty good size one to have leftovers for sandwiches.

We'll have the normal meal tonight with boiled cabbage, carrots and potatoes on the side and then I'll have a two or three thin sliced and piled high corned beef sandwiches later on........can't stand sauerkraut and no cheese just bread, meat and brown / horseradish mustard.

Looking forward to supper. :)

View attachment 259712
Need to grab a couple pints of Guinness to wash it down. Maybe get a few drams of Jamison also

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is a great recipe. I use hickory or pecan. Granted, it won't be ready for this year's St. Patty's Day. The pastrami sandwiches are amazing though!

Venison/Elk pastrami – cured not brined

Cure:

1/4 C curing salt
2 T brown sugar
1 T black pepper
1 T onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1 t paprika
1 t allspice

Rub:

3 T black pepper
1 t coriander(optional)
1 t garlic powder

Meat: 2-4 lb whole muscle. I use the large roasts from the hindquarters, preferably not the football ones.

Mix cure and coat meat thoroughly. Place in gallon zip lock bag and refrigerate. Turn bag 1-2 times a day(I do one) for at least 5 days. Remove from bag and rinse off cure, then soak in water for a few hours or overnight(I usually do just 1 hour). Remove from water and pat dry.

Coat with rub and then smoke until internal temperature reaches 140-150. Let rest and cool, then slice for sandwiches. It slices much better cold.

You will notice a lot of liquid in the bag after 1-2 days, but it nearly all is soaked back up. I have made it without soaking in water but it tends to be salty. I have found 1-2 hours is enough at least for my tastes. For the smoker I prefer a lighter wood and use English walnut shells. Hickory is good too as well as Apple

Latest posts

Top Bottom