A little light smokin' today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I picked up a small corned beef brisket flat last week when I was in the mood for corned beef... WalMart's stopped carrying it in their deli section.

It was a small little guy, just about 2 pounds. Well, today I decided I was gonna cook it up. I didn't want to do the traditional boiling. I like cabbage, but no one else around here does, and I'd probably have to sleep outside for a couple of days if I did it with cabbage, anyways. :cry11:

So what I did was, I threw it in the smoker set on 275. Was gonna do it for 2 hours, but got caught up in some meetings and didn't make it back home till it had been on about 3 hours. I pulled it out, stuck a thermoprobe in it and it was in the upper 160s. So I made a glaze for it, threw it in a pan, wrapped the pan tight with foil, dropped the smoker to 225 and threw it back on for another couple of hours. While it was out, I cut off some of the fat cap to throw in with some veggies - carrots, potatoes and onion.

The glaze I made was this:

Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce - ~1/2-3/4 cup
Apricot preserves - ~3/4-1 cup
Dijon mustard - ~1/3 cup

Mixed it all up, poured some in the pan, put the brisket on it, then dumped the rest over the top. Finished it up to 203F in... oh, a little over an hour, hour and a half.

Boy was it good! I boiled the veggies with some of the fat, and when I pulled the brisket off I cut a couple of slices into chunks and tossed them in as well.

Not a bad dinner! A little different... I like corned beef, but this was kinda salty, sweet, savory all mixed together. I had a bunch of the sauce left over, obviously, some of which we spooned on a little bit like gravy. I have probably 1 & 1/2 cups of the sauce left - trying to figure out some use for it.

So... I know some of ya'll are dying for pics. I didn't take any pics of the cooking process, as I was running behind for a meeting and didn't have time. But here is the finished product:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Grillin_202014_001_zps15c74b61.jpg

So what do you think? I need to do a bigger one next time, cook it slower. I like this apricot/dijon/BBQ glaze, even though I'm not usually a fan of sweet BBQ. It worked out well.

I have friends coming over Wed evening. The wife wants me to do a pork shoulder again, but I'm considering a more traditional brisket. I just don't know...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks great! I'm also not a fan of sweet BBQ sauce.

Havent tried one on the smoker yet, as we are fans of the cabbage with a ton of garlic, and onion.

I would be all over that, except the cabbage issues noted above. And I hadn't smoked anything in a couple weeks, I think, so I didn't want the little Traeger to get to feelin' too neglected. ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LOL, I have a trimmed brisket in the freezer right now. Need to get it out for a two day marinade, and put it in cookshack.

My wife and I were on the BBQ circuit for several years around OK, and she is burned out on smoked meats. I smoke stuff for myself, and when I do something for both of us, it goes in the cookshack with no smoking wood. There is still a little residual smoke flavor, but not enough to deter her from eating it.

I'm currently into sausage making. Just started using wild game. Pretty good so far.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That looks really good! I love corned beef. I love cabbage! I do not like catsup based BBQ sauce. Damn, now I'm hungry.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
this post made me chuckle because at 530 this morning I was in the store looking at the corned beef thinking about doing the same thing today

Latest posts

Top Bottom