Starter competition/ Deer Riffle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its all about preference. Hell, the most famous elephant hunter of all time used a 7mm mauser to kill 1,011 elephants. 175gr FMJ going 2400 fps. Talk about less than ideal.

I assume you are talking about Bell: he shot elephants with pin point accuracy with a "brain shot". He also shot birds in flight with a rifle. That's not a preference - it's skilled. (The only reason he used the 7mm Mauser was the reliability of available ammo).

Disregard above if you can perform a "brain shot" on a deer; 22 short will do just fine.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It all depends on how much you shoot and your shooting skill, Eastern Oklahoma their are a mess of deer shot with a flashlight and 22 mag, my favorite deer round is a 22-250 but I have built a 284 Win to replace the 250 since my ranges have been stretched. Some folks say a 300WM is not big enough to drop a deer? folks without stirring it up too bad a lot of people just need to learn to shoot better! put the bullet where it needs to go and it will work pretty simple huh? if you can't put the bullet where it needs to go practice or get a bigger rifle to make up for the lack of being able to place a bullet where it should go. Later,

Kirk

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I assume you are talking about Bell: he shot elephants with pin point accuracy with a "brain shot". He also shot birds in flight with a rifle. That's not a preference - it's skilled. (The only reason he used the 7mm Mauser was the reliability of available ammo).

Disregard above if you can perform a "brain shot" on a deer; 22 short will do just fine.

The point is, he coulda used anything. 7mm mauser was his preference. And noone would say a .274 caliber gun is ideal for dangerous game.