Storing your weaponlight with batteries.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up my first dedicated weaponlight, an Insight M3, and in the manual it recommends to remove the batteries when your not gonna use it for awhile. I was hoping to leave it in the top drawer of the nightstand ready to go. Is it really necessary to remove the batteries if im not using it for weeks at a time? Do you leave batteries in your weaponlights for long periods of time, and have you had any problems?

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends a lot on the batteries it uses. Lithium (such as cr123's, CR2032's, 2016's, etc etc) will not leak, therefore will not damage the light. Alkalines (AA's, AAA's, LR44's) will leak, will damage your light. Some other chemistries may vary. Weeks, you will be fine. Months, eh.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, its good to know my weapon light will be ready should I need it randomly in the middle of the night. It came with duracell 123s which I would think are quality, I'll probably use those up in a couple weeks just testing it out then I have some Surefire batteries that i'll use for long term storage.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CR123s are suppossed to have a 10 year shelf life.

I'm thinking this includes them being inside a flashlight.

Hell, seems like AAs, AAAs and such will go dead on you by the time you get home with 'em from your local Wally World. :rolleyes2

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CR123s are suppossed to have a 10 year shelf life.

I'm thinking this includes them being inside a flashlight.

Hell, seems like AAs, AAAs and such will go dead on you by the time you get home with 'em from your local Wally World. :rolleyes2

CR123's and other lithium batteries have a 7 year shelf life. So do alkalines, if that tells you anything about the age of the batteries you buy from big box stores.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
CR123's and other lithium batteries have a 7 year shelf life. So do alkalines, if that tells you anything about the age of the batteries you buy from big box stores.

I've never known an alkaline to last that long on the shelf. And they damn sure don't last that long in a flashlight, camera or whatever. :disappoin

Thank God Energizer came out with the Ultimate Lithium series of batts in AA and AAA. Those seem to last a good long while.

hanson405

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never known an alkaline to last that long on the shelf. And they damn sure don't last that long in a flashlight, camera or whatever. :disappoin

Thank God Energizer came out with the Ultimate Lithium series of batts in AA and AAA. Those seem to last a good long while.

Check out a fresh set of Duracells, Rayovacs or Energizers. They typically have a use-by date 5-7 years after their manufacture date. But yes, Lithiums do MUCH better in flashlights, cameras and other high-drain devices. Now try and put them in your TV remote, that's a different story.

kevin40_2001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just picked up my first dedicated weaponlight, an Insight M3, and in the manual it recommends to remove the batteries when your not gonna use it for awhile. I was hoping to leave it in the top drawer of the nightstand ready to go. Is it really necessary to remove the batteries if im not using it for weeks at a time? Do you leave batteries in your weaponlights for long periods of time, and have you had any problems?

I have an XD with a viridian green laser/light. The gun typically sits on my nightstand as it is not my primary carry weapon. I have to replace the batteries every three months or so without regular use. I'll go to pick it up and the batteries are dead. I check it every week just to make sure even when not shooting it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom