Stupid Question: What's wrong with pistol sights on rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know this will probably come off as a very stupid question - but here goes;

I am proficient with a rifle and extremely proficient with a pistol.

I am NOT a fan of typical rifle sights.

I DO like pistol sights.

What are the cons for placing pistol 'styled' sights on a rifle?
Would it really affect some of those longer shots? 100 yds+?

AKs have sights similar to pistols in that they are a 'blade' that you place between the rear V. I absolutely hate traditional AR sights (AND common ghost rings for that matter). Are there any companies that sell a sight for an AR that is similar to a Glock's sights? Am I being completely stupid in wanting this setup?

I would want the sights to be a bit slimmer, otherwise I would not be able to see much downrange, even past 50 yds, but SOMEthing similar.....is it out there?

What are the pros and cons, in your opinion.

......I just find the typical sights on an AR give too much 'wobble room' ((that's the scientific name, don'tcha know!)) - or 'variance' in bullet placement compared to pistols. My pistol rounds go exactly where I want them to, within 1/4"-1/2" area. My AR rounds strike within a 1/2" - 3" area depending on range (shorter ranges, obviously - I can't hit 1/2" groups at 100 yds with iron sights, LoL)

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most sights on combat rifles are capable of making hit on man sized targets out to 600 meters, and were designed to do so.I dont think pistol sights on a rifle would mess with accuracy. On peep sights, your cheek weld on the stock is very important. If you can find pistol style sight for a rifle and that is what u prefer, then I say go with it.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have hunted with a pistol .At 100 yards the front blade appears almost as wide as the deer.It messes with your confidence although I had no problem killing milk jugs at the same distance.I think your longer range accuracy and point and shoot is much better with the ghost ring.I hated peeps as well but after learning to center my target I really like them now and actually prefer them to AK sights. You could just get an aimpoint

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Paul Howe CSAT rear sight might be what you are looking for on an AR.

THAT is pretty similar to what I had in mind and in fact, sounds worthy of trying out!

In regards to the previous posters;
Even with a real tight cheek weld, the fact that my front sight is just 'hanging out' in a big 'O' is what I don't like. Maybe I need to find a smaller peep hole? But when reducing the peep hole size, your field of view diminishes, obviously.

I truly just want a small metal 'block' on top of my AR with some traditional pistol sights on it, LoL. I (think) would still have a decent field of view with a narrow rear sight (2 dots) and then place the front sight in between those.

Maybe I'll check out this CSAT and give it a try. It appears to be one of the only sights out there with a 'pistol' notch styled rear sight and also takes into account bullet rise/drop and different distances, all in one sight.

Thanks for the info - I'll still welcome any other opinions or products.

:w000t:

DarkLaw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.....You could just get an aimpoint

That is what I DON'T want. I am a fan of iron sights and want a reliable set that I am comfortable with. Secondly, I don't have the $$ to put into an Aimpoint. I have a panoramic holo sight on there as a co-witness, but I view it more as a last second 'reflex' indicator of bullet strike. I shoot with my iron sights 95% of the time.

Anyway - I'm not here to discuss pros and cons of holo sights and aimpoints, etc etc...

I just want a set of irons that are styled more closely to a pistol in order to produce a more accurate shot out to 100 yds.

Maybe I just need to paint a horizon line on my front sight?

With a pistol, I see this; O0O .... when that is lined up vertically and horizontally, I know that my bullet will go exactly where I am aiming.

With a rifle, I see this; (.:.) ...with no indicators as to horizontal/vertical axis. It boils down to being a 'guess' and is subject to different people's eyesight, opinion, and reaction.
"I think it is centered up on each axis, so I'll take the shot"

With a pistol, I KNOW it is centered on each axis.

Does that make sense??

Latest posts

Top Bottom