Summertime: Let's talk Margaritas (tequila and mezcal)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found myself sippin’ Mad Dog Margaritas in the Chili Parlor Bar a la Guy Clark last weekend. For those not in the know, it’s a Cointreau/Mezcal (cheap mezcal…) and fresh lime juice ‘rita that’ll put hair on your chest. I came home and of course my local liquor store only had the cheap stuff – Monte Alban with the worm – so I have recreated the Mad Dog.

I ate at a fancy Mexican joint in Denver a while back and they had a top-shelf mezcalrita that was delicious. I’d like to score some higher-grade mescal. Any recommendations on what and where to find it in Tulsa? What about regular agave tequilas? Any low-mid range favorites? I’m on a mezcal kick now, but the girlfriend is not so keen on the smoky ‘ritas.

I learned it’s better to cheap out on your main liquor than your orange liquor. Cointreau is 40% vs. the 17% of cheap triple sec, it’s cleaner, and it just makes a better drink IMO. You only use a bit at a time so I’m a believer in spending the cash here – same reason my cheap rifles wear good scope and my kayak paddle is a carbon fiber luxury stick, ya dig? You're only as good as your basic components.

What are your recipes? I just do the basic 2oz of tequila/1oz Cointreau/1oz fresh lime. I’m thinking abut maybe adding pineapple juice to it. Any other suggestions? If you make yours with a mix, may god have mercy on your soul. Would you like a Zima?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4-8 ounces of fresh squeezed lime on ice. Add reposado to desired potency (4-6? ounces depending on how hammered I want to get). Stir. Done. I don't care for any sweet & sour or orange liqueurs in anything else in mine. Just lime and liquour, please! I don't like blanco much but love the others. Usually around a 1:1 ratio of lime and liquor though I vary. Hornitos actually makes a pretty good reposado and anejo for the money, though the anejo is more for sippin'. Cazadores is good too though I keep coming back to the Hornitos. Patron is certainly good sheeeet though overpriced, as is Cabo Wabo (as good as it is DLR was still tops over Hagar). If you find it, do yourself a favor and pick up some Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia, and don't be put off by the Cuervo name. It's top shelf stuff indeed. Republic isn't bad but it's more a novelty brand to me. Deep Discount at 51st and Sheridan has one of the better Tequila selections in town. Get your limes at Supermercado Morales 10 for a dollar.

Also, this is my cop out pitcher recipe for parties: Pour 1 can of frozen limeade into blender. Fill empty can full of tequila, then add to blender. Fill can again 1/3 of way with Cointreau or other higher proof orange liqueur (Ridge, you are right on not to get the cheap stuff... O3 is a good high proof but cheaper-than-Cointreau substitute though Cointreau is ubiquitous). Add some ice, then blend. Cheap and dirty frozen margaritas.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might have grilled some pollo asada for tacos tonight and imbibed in a few of the aforementioned libations. Apologies for the terrible paragraph formatting.

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No recipe for a Margarita. ..wife fixes them and they're strawberry, on the rocks, sugar instead of salt on the rim.

For me...she sbustitutes mezcal for tequila....kind of a ..smoky margarita.

El Jimado tequila and Mezcal Union. Union I don't think is in the states yet...

No matter what mezcal you buy....DON'T BUY the ones with the worm. For college parties..sure.

For sipping. ..um..no. Go with a quality mezcal.

May I suggest this for drinking mezcal???

Put an orange in the refrigerator for a day or two.

Pull out the orange and cut it in half.

One half..slice it thin..maybe a 1/4 inch sclices and place them on a plate.

Order..sal de gusano ( I buy a few bottles in Mexico)...yes the agave worm, sea salt and smoky seasoning.

Cut a slice in half...put a tiny sprinkle of sal de gusano on the orange slice.

Take a sip of the mezcal ..swallow..the bite a piece of the salty/smoky flavored orange.

Repeat a few times.

Quality mezcal is sipped like quality scotch. There are a few afficiandos who compare the smoke flavor of quality mezcals like the smoky flavor of scotch...

Last edited:

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
mezcalerodotnet.files.wordpress.com_2012_11_saldegusano1.jpg

Sprinkle the sal de gusano on the orange wedge.
Sip...yes sip..not shoot the mezcal.

Bite a piece of the orange wedge with the salt....slowly repeat.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been making Tequila "Gimlets" for my other half lately. Pretty much what Cardsfan is doing but she likes the Cointreau or GMarnier. I'll also second Deep discount liquor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom