Super Bowl

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I asked everyone what they were doing this weekend, a lot of them said they were looking forward to seeing a Super bowl. I'm such a people-pleaser, so hopefully this will work.

It's a Duck (Hooded Merganser) effigy bowl with a small water turtle tail-rider. It's from the Mississippian time period and dates to around A.D. 1000 - A.D. 1500. It was found by Kenneth Davis in 1964 at the Neely's Ferry site in Cross County, Arkansas. Even though it's broken & glued, the condition is excellent.

www.arrowheads1.com_image_duckturtlebowl1.jpg

Last edited:

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Effigy basically just means that it's in the likeness off. So, a opposum effigy will be created to look like a 'possum. Effigy vessels typically represented forms (zoomorphic and anthropomorphic) that were very important to their way of life. Ducks and turtles were a part of their diet and in some cultures had religious significance as well.

This was a cooking bowl. I doubt that it was used daily though, this would be more like fine China and only brought out on special occasions.

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The coin toss was worth watching. 16 Metal of Honor Recipients, all older gentlemen. 94yo Marine Woody Williams flipped the coin. The man was a badass on Iwo Jima...................carried a flame thrower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom