Surging home insurance costs could force families to leave these 10 states (OK is one)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So replacing roofs do to summer heat, which hasn't been really out of the ordinary, is making premiums go up exponentially?

The cost of the materials used and increase in labor are driving up rates.

My example of summer heat and lack of proper ventilation was in reply to a post about what major storm caused the increase.

Its not just storms that damage roofs, and not just storms that drive up rates.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My roof is 4 years old so that shouldn’t even be a factor. Besides, I thoughts roofs weren’t even covered under a normal policy for anything but hail damage, not sure how heat factors into the equation.
For some reason I keep picturing Leo Gets in Lethal Weapon. 🤬🤬

Excessive heat build up in attics and lack of proper ventilation can cause shingles to fail. They can de laminate and start to curl, also granules loosen over time and detach.

Heat and lack of attic ventilation is a killer to roofs. More than people think.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just what kind of weather have we had over the last several years to justify the cost increase? Severe weather has been pretty tame overall for quite a while.
Don't know about your neck of the woods, but Lawton experienced a hail storm last June. It rained down tennis ball to softball size hail across nearly 100% of city limits for an hour. It literally came to a dead stop over Lawton and hailed very large stones for a full hour.

Similar hail storms hit towns north of us--Alache, Fletcher, Elgin, Cyril, Cement, etc--two or three years ago. Multiple huge hail storms just weeks apart. My buddy in Apache claimed 4 roofs in 14 months, to the point insurance paid 100% swap to metal. It has been pretty crazy down here.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Similar hail storms hit towns north of us--Alache, Fletcher, Elgin, Cyril, Cement, etc--two or three years ago.
Believe that was April, 2020. We had just moved to Oklahoma and were waiting for our house to be completed. Place we were renting (Elgin) didn’t have a garage and all three vehicles had no place to hide. That was something to behold. Some of the older Mobil homes in town had several fist sized holes through the walls. It was like a meteor shower you see in a sci-fi movie.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
USAA left me very unimpressed. I jumped through all their hoops just to get a quote and they were higher than what I was already paying. Then the gal on the line said “I can lower your coverage to reduce the premium”. I told here “well I suppose my current carrier could do the same right?”

USAA is typically a great company to work with..... unlike most.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just what kind of weather have we had over the last several years to justify the cost increase? Severe weather has been pretty tame overall for quite a while.

No it hasn't lol. Two pretty good storms in Oklahoma last year, including the Father's Day storm that one in April that hit OBU. Also consider multiple hard freezing events in the past few years. Everyone has roof on the brain but water losses are an issue too.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
USAA left me very unimpressed. I jumped through all their hoops just to get a quote and they were higher than what I was already paying. Then the gal on the line said “I can lower your coverage to reduce the premium”. I told here “well I suppose my current carrier could do the same right?”
Same here. We went back to State Farm where we get better rates and much better service.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My brother in-law is still selling roofing jobs from the big hail storm that hit the Kingfisher area last year. There were other storms last year as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom