the best all around?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911duke

Hello all I am new to the site and thought i would test it out by putting a post down for discussion. Im sure many of y'all have wondered and thought along the same lines, but imagine this: lets say something happens to where there is food shortages out the wazoo or a logistics problem and you cannot go to walmart or grocery stores or mcdonalds to get something to eat or even supplies (water, food, clothing, living expendables). or a number of whatevers that could arise, just rose, leaving you to be responsible for the well being of you and your family. youre left with limited ammo, and whatever fishing, hunting supplies to keep you and your family fed for quite some time.

heres the question/test: lets say you only have MAXIMUM 2 firearms along with your fishing gear and other game/food acquiring tools. WHAT are these two firearms that you would have? keep in mind the price of ammo/availability of ammo/weight and size of ammo how long your firearms will last shooting hundreds of ammo(durability-22lr can shoot thousands upon thousands with minimal wear) what type of action because you will probably get the gun wet, muddy, go through sand, dirt, freezing rain, snow...etc if a hand gun; revolver, single shot, semi auto?, if rifle; semi auto, pump, bolt, lever....if shotgun..or heres a good one, IF BLACK POWDER? (fewer parts, oldie but goodie, no bullet case required, just cap/powder/bullet)

whats the gun you would have that would last years in rugged outdoor use without having to take to a gunsmith for springs, mechanisms..bolts, slides, pins, push-pull mechanisms...etc?

and also aside from firearms, what other tools/supplies would you have (keep in mind size and weight)

lets just call yourself a modern day trapper/tracker.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're screwed because every yahoo with a .22LR will shoot every housepet, bird, or livestock animal in existence within days as a matter of 'laying in provisions' for the 'tough patch' regardless of their skill to dress and preserve meat, and will not harvest in a sustainable manner.

The same for fish.

(Sorry.)

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tough decision. But I'd probably go with....

An SKS for my rifle. Robust, semi auto, plentiful parts availability, plentiful ammo, accurate enough out to 200 yards, and it can take most NA game with a well placed shot.

My second choice would be a Glock 19. Plentiful ammo, ruggedness and reliability, excellent self defense piece, etc...

A .22LR or an AK both narrowly miss out on my selection.

1911duke

LOL rhodesbe i couldnt agree more. people would panic and overconsumer the wildlife. unfortunately in some cases, the only way to keep the WORLD fed is by having cattle , hog, turkey, chicken and other farms to where they mass reproduce and slaughter just to keep up with the damand. nature on its own however, cannot replicate that like we can...at least in some areas. naturally, i dont know if there is enough food to supply the world on its own natural course.......but its still fun to imagine like the old days

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it ever gets to that level, I'll resort to traps, snares and dead falls. Silent, efficient and deadly.
Without you even knowing about it, I'll scavenge all of your livestock, domestic animals, etc.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it ever gets to that level, I'll resort to traps, snares and dead falls. Silent, efficient and deadly.
Without you even knowing about it, I'll scavenge all of your livestock, domestic animals, etc.

Dude, I'll donate my worthless dog to your cause right now. He prolly tastes like poop, cause he certainly eats his fair share of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom