The debate is over see which is better .45 .40 or 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolguy

Marksman
Reaction score
when you shoot animals with ccw loads and guns, you don't see anything like the expansion of jhp's that is seen with jello or water, guys. Try it for yourselves and see. there's plenty of nutria, armadillos, chucks, coons, jackrabbits. If the exit wounds look just like the entrance wound, the hp obviously did not expand, and most dont. If the velocity is under 1200 fps for a .36 bore copper jhp, or under 1000 fps for a .45, forget it. it's even worse with people, because the hp cavity gets "plugged" by clothing debris, and you need more velocity to "clear" that debris, before the hp can expand. lead hp's expand at slightly lower velocities, so do the actual aluminum jacketed silvertips. but the 357 and 9mm ST's are nickelplated copper jhp's. did you know that? the .38, 380, .45 Silvertips are aluminum jacketed.

Tom Bryzinski himself, inventor of the Hydrashok, said that if you don't see expansion in the first 2" of penetration, you are not going to see any, with handgun jhp's, in jello. So,no, you don't need to shoot larger animals to see if the jhp will expand in men. flesh and blood is flesh and blood, nothing about human tissue is more likely to expand the hp than animal tissue. If you increase the animal size, you will be even more disappointed in the results, I promise you! :-) you might have a few drop to the shot, but if you shoot 10 or so, you're going to see many of them run quite a ways before they fall. I've shot hundreds of critters with ccw loads and guns, guys.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"when you shoot animals with ccw loads and guns, you don't see anything like the expansion of jhp's that is seen with jello or water, guys. "

Not arguing your point, in fact I agree with most of it, but last year I had to put down a deer that a poacher wounded. Hornady Critical Defense 185 grain .45ACP. Bullet expanded to .72 and retained all it's weight, minus the plastic tip. Entry point was back of right rib cage, (deer was quartered away from me), bullet traveled through chest cavity and was recovered under the skin at front of left shoulder. Strange things happen from time to time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when you shoot animals with ccw loads and guns, you don't see anything like the expansion of jhp's that is seen with jello or water, guys. Try it for yourselves and see. there's plenty of nutria, armadillos, chucks, coons, jackrabbits. If the exit wounds look just like the entrance wound, the hp obviously did not expand, and most dont. If the velocity is under 1200 fps for a .36 bore copper jhp, or under 1000 fps for a .45, forget it. it's even worse with people, because the hp cavity gets "plugged" by clothing debris, and you need more velocity to "clear" that debris, before the hp can expand. lead hp's expand at slightly lower velocities, so do the actual aluminum jacketed silvertips. but the 357 and 9mm ST's are nickelplated copper jhp's. did you know that? the .38, 380, .45 Silvertips are aluminum jacketed.

Tom Bryzinski himself, inventor of the Hydrashok, said that if you don't see expansion in the first 2" of penetration, you are not going to see any, with handgun jhp's, in jello. So,no, you don't need to shoot larger animals to see if the jhp will expand in men. flesh and blood is flesh and blood, nothing about human tissue is more likely to expand the hp than animal tissue. If you increase the animal size, you will be even more disappointed in the results, I promise you! :-) you might have a few drop to the shot, but if you shoot 10 or so, you're going to see many of them run quite a ways before they fall. I've shot hundreds of critters with ccw loads and guns, guys.

Hmmmm......I've killed hundreds of animals, most with rifle, but a lot with pistol. Small game with small bore, and Large game with big bore centerfire pistols. I've recovered many bullets from the animals killed with pistols. Actually have pics of them, all fully expanded in deer sized game. I'm on my phone, and don't have access to my photo's, but I'll get some pics on here shortly of the recovered rounds.... All fully expanded in animals as small as a bobcat taken with a .45 ACP.

Bullets can't be an all in one/take all game. The reason bullet manufacturers put out so many variations of bullet construction is because each level of game requires a different bullet.
A bullet designed for a Prarie dog won't work on a Cape Buffalo.

Harv

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They're all good rounds....will kill what you're shooting at...personally I like the 115 grn 9mm......when I was younger, I liked the 45.....it's all about what you're comfortable shooting....stick with what you like....you won't go wrong...H

Latest posts

Top Bottom