The Freest States For Off-Grid Living

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd move Alaska to the top as being the easiest to go off grid when it comes to government regulation or interference. Over 90% of the state is not subject to property taxes or building codes of any kind. Southeast Alaska would be my pick in terms of livability and sustainability.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd move Alaska to the top as being the easiest to go off grid when it comes to government regulation or interference. Over 90% of the state is not subject to property taxes or building codes of any kind. Southeast Alaska would be my pick in terms of livability and sustainability.
I watch all of those off grid shows on TV in Alaska, as I love going there.
But, in the urban areas for the most part, its trashy as hell too. 99% of it is vehicles, heavy equipment, and white goods like washers and dryers.
I understand the issues though because there are no scrap yards in Alaska to take the stuff in for recycling. It cost too much to ship back to the lower 48 for recycling so they just leave it in their yards.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Living off the grid means you don't throw anything away that might be used later. What you might think as trash can always be re-purposed and may be re-purposed again and again.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going to New York for a short vacation with the wife (2 days) then AmTrack to Philadelphia for a couple of days before she flies back.
Not a fan of New York but wife want's to go just to get away and we have another couple coming with. I'm in Philly for work and decided to go a few days earlier and I will come a couple of days after.
Wife has never been to Philly and we're just down the street from market place and Independence hall. Note to everyone seeing the Liberty Bell. Don't touch it. They frown on that.
Off topic but if something ever happened when I was there, I'd be doomed. Long term off the grid in NY is just about as possible as short time off the grid in NY.
It deserves to be last be cause it will be the last place you could exist more than a few days off the grid. If you live in upper Manhattan, even less.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, Oklahoma's solar and wind policies don't help people who plan to use those energies to go off the grid. It's almost as if our wonderful elected officials (representing their wonderful constituents) planned it that way!
The wind energy is not designed to benefit a person living in a trailer house or a 10 million dollar home. Its designed to provide profit via government subsidies to the owners of the wind farms. The sooner people realize that, the sooner these abominations on the earth can go away.
I just had two quarters of a section of land basically absorbed by a wind farm agency that can take it without my permission by eminent domain if I didn't submit to their "offers".
I took it to a lawyer, and although I can't stop them from taking over my land, I did triple the lowball offer they put up and got some perk on top to sweeten the deal.
At this stage of my game, I'd prefer they stay the hell away. They are a blight on the horizon and cannot make a profit on their own, making them a drag on the American/Oklahoma economy.
The OU, and OSU wind farms in Kay County were pushed on the Oklahoma citizens by the Corporation Commission in an agreement with OG&E so they could get a rate hike to finance the obama coal killer regulations requiring scrubbers. Guess what, "green energy" does not have separate power lines. All power generated goes into the grid, and coal generates the majority in Oklahoma,
Now OG&E has started a contractually mandated scrubber construction in their two coal plants that will result in another rate hike to the public in Ok.
When the wind doesn't blow, and the sun doesn't shine, there is no electricity from alternate sources. Coal is the base load across the country, and NG comes in second.
Elon Musk with his "environmentally correct cars" is the most privatly government financed person in history. If he didn't have government subsudies that you and I pay for, his company would fail in a week.
LoL, the cars use coal fire power plants to recharge their batteries.
The carbon foot print to produce those cars outweigh the benefit of driving one other than for vain purposes. Your not saving the planet.

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The wind energy is not designed to benefit a person living in a trailer house or a 10 million dollar home. Its designed to provide profit via government subsidies to the owners of the wind farms. The sooner people realize that, the sooner these abominations on the earth can go away.
I just had two quarters of a section of land basically absorbed by a wind farm agency that can take it without my permission by eminent domain if I didn't submit to their "offers".
I took it to a lawyer, and although I can't stop them from taking over my land, I did triple the lowball offer they put up and got some perk on top to sweeten the deal.
At this stage of my game, I'd prefer they stay the hell away. They are a blight on the horizon and cannot make a profit on their own, making them a drag on the American/Oklahoma economy.
The OU, and OSU wind farms in Kay County were pushed on the Oklahoma citizens by the Corporation Commission in an agreement with OG&E so they could get a rate hike to finance the obama coal killer regulations requiring scrubbers. Guess what, "green energy" does not have separate power lines. All power generated goes into the grid, and coal generates the majority in Oklahoma,
Now OG&E has started a contractually mandated scrubber construction in their two coal plants that will result in another rate hike to the public in Ok.
When the wind doesn't blow, and the sun doesn't shine, there is no electricity from alternate sources. Coal is the base load across the country, and NG comes in second.
Elon Musk with his "environmentally correct cars" is the most privatly government financed person in history. If he didn't have government subsudies that you and I pay for, his company would fail in a week.
LoL, the cars use coal fire power plants to recharge their batteries.
The carbon foot print to produce those cars outweigh the benefit of driving one other than for vain purposes. Your not saving the planet.
Wind energy isn't "designed" for anything...if someone can efficiently convert wind energy to electric energy, then so be it. One off-grid house I helped build runs all electricity from a wind generator...in fact, they generate more than they use. The other off-grid house I helped with runs all electricity from solar panels. Both work great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom