"The Official 2010-2011 Hunting Season Success Pics"!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papal

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rackstack/Erick, real nice bucks ya'll. Dropped mine off this morning at the taxidermist (gonna get a euro mount).....and a guy from crescent had a beast he was dropping off, super gnarly 19 point......and he said he had two bigger than that one on camera!

So far it's been a good year.....keep em coming OSA!

Kingmarine

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a very unusual gun hunt this year. On opening day I went out for the morning hunt on Saturday and didn't see a thing. Came back to the cabin for lunch, changed clothes and started prepping to eat while a very good friend of the family started cooking up some deer steak while another friend of the family had dropped a doe and a buck during opening morning so he was giving the rest of us a hard time about not seeing anything. I went out on the back patio to have a smoke and saw a doe hop the neighbors fence onto our property about 60 yards away. I quickly but silently went back into the cabin to retrieve my 30-06 and then came back out to the patio (trying to quickly explain to everyone in the cabin what was going on and still getting out the door for the shot and let them know I might be sending a shot off the patio. I started looking down where the deer hopped the fence for any sign of her. She had hopped the fence, then walked down the fence line away from the cabin toward the creek. I spotted her 90 yards away rubbing her head on a tree. I got in a prone position on the back patio and dropped her in her tracks.

(Click images for larger image)
[Broken External Image]

After field dressing, skinning, and getting all the meet in the fridge to process later as well as eat we all went out for the evening hunt on Saturday. Saturday night was uneventful as well so we all came back to the cabin and settled in for the night with a nice dinner and general discussion.

Got up early for the Sunday hunt and decided to try an area I had not spent a lot of time in. Went out before the sun was up and set up close to a deer trail I had seen deer on during blackpowder season. As the sun came up I realized I did not like my spot but still stayed put for awhile. After a couple of hours of watching everything in the woods play except deer I was starting to doze off so I decided to move. I have been planning on putting in some food plots so I was looking around for a good spot while moving around a bit. I finally decided to setup under a double wide oak tree that I have had success at before when I was much younger. I put down all my gear and set my rifle against the tree and started clearing the leaves for a spot for me to sit down. I got it all prepped for me and leaned over to retreive my rifle. While grabbing my rifle I happen to look down the jeep trail that is behind this spot and there were two deer grazing under an oak tree roughly 70 yards down the trail. There was a lot of brush between me and them so I moved quietly back out of sight and moved around the brush and roughly 10 yards closer to them for a direct shot. I got to where I could see them clearly down the jeep trail. I saw one with his head up and it was a spike with probably 9 inch tines, and the other had it's head down but I had assumed it was a doe. So I rolled out onto the jeep trail while in a prone position trying to get a shot off at the spike. The road slightly rises then lowers again between myself and the deer and couldn't see a thing. But if I raised my head I could clearly see the spike I was trying to get a bead on. So I rolled over again seeing if I could get a clear shot. After this roll the spike was gone and the other deer just continued to graze. So I thought "crap I spooked him off with all my rolling around."

So I just lay there watching the other deer graze still when it decided to raise its head and it's a buck. So I try to get a shot on him and still can't see anything in a prone position. I waited until he dropped his head again and as silently as I could I got into a sitting position. He was roughly 60 yards with a nice broadside shot. I aimed for the heart/lung shot and fired. He buckled real hard then took off trying to run down the jeep trail away from me with a hard curve to the right. I have lost deer in the past by tracking them too soon, so I walked very quietly up to where I thought I had shot him and put a marker next to a tree at the side of the jeep trail.

Everyone came out of the woods, we had lunch and then went out to track the deer. We found blood and that deer hadn't gone maybe 30 yards and dropped on a small deer trail. Here he is, a non-typical 9 point.

[Broken External Image]
Here is a slightly better pic of the rack.
[Broken External Image]

Sorry for the long post....

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
athecodeslinger.files.wordpress.com_2010_11_img_0103_large.jpg

athecodeslinger.files.wordpress.com_2010_11_img_0107_large.jpg

Nice buck papal.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my best friend and his son with one his son shot tonight. 20 1/2" inside spread. They have pics of him as a 10 pt but 2 points were broken off. Great deer. You can see where he shot it in the neck facing him.
ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d168_imhntn_LukesBuck.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom