"The Official 2010-2011 Hunting Season Success Pics"!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats to shadow, down deep and 264 mag!
264, a high shot like that puts them down in their tracks. I see you have the same deer cart that I use. Makes life good. I want to get the dual wheel kit for it to increase the footprint. In soft ground it needs a little more flotation.

Shadow, did you also shoot high at the back of the deer? I've always thought it wouldn't be a gut shot, and the shock would take out the spine and central nervous system.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats ridge and downdeep on two very nice deer! Ridge I think this should be the buck mounted with tongue out and some blood smeared on the antlers!
Nice pictures with leaves strategically placed.

Lawl. What would have been the best picture has his tongue hanging out upon review. I can't even follow my own tips.

1) How do you like that dragging sled? I've thought about getting one, but didn't think it could make a huge difference.

2) Curse you for getting a buck with cheaters. I'm tired of getting these nice, symmetrical 8 pointers. I want a buck with trash, dammit!

1) It works pretty good on long drags or heavier deer. It makes it a little easier to pull, but mainly it keeps them cleaner and from getting all torn up in the rough stuff. It's my dad's contraption, he keeps it stashed in a hollow tree or buried in leaves on the ridge he hunts. I usually don't mess with it on smaller deer. Dragging them out usually messes the hide all up and rub hair off, and I'm mounting this one, so I called him and asked him to bring the sled down the hill. He said "I just shot a doe, so she'll be riding it down." I went and helped him get his doe to camp and then he helped me get my buck off "my" ridge. He tied a rope to the back of the sled and held backup going down the steep trail. I've dragged many a deer off that hill alone and they tend to want to run over you or fall off the steep parts.

I'm going to buy my own and stash it up on that hill (my only tough drag) because it would be a life saver if I shot a nice buck at dark while hunting alone up there or something.

2) I know, right? It seems every deer to ever come out of our immediate area is a typical 8 point. They start off as spindly 8's, and if they live to old age (Ha! Like that ever happens here) they are heavy beamed 8's. I'm very happy with this dude.

Nice work on the doe. That's a heck of a spot to hit a deer with a gun if you can do that every time. I bet you got lungs and spine damage.
Dad the veteran meat hunter himself popped a doe the same morning, so we had 2 generations of deer killers on the pole that day for the first time in a couple years.

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r135_ereif_223.jpg

Congrats to shadow, down deep and 264 mag!

OK, who's shadow? I'm looking for deer I missed in this thread and can't find a shadow.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, who's shadow? I'm looking for deer I missed in this thread and can't find a shadow.

Sorry buddy, In my sleep deprived mind, I was thinking shadowrider instead of ridgehunter.
My apologies.
9 days of hunting in a row have me searching for a clear mind on occasion...... Its bed time and time to start day 10

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry buddy, In my sleep deprived mind, I was thinking shadowrider instead of ridgehunter.
My apologies.
9 days of hunting in a row have me searching for a clear mind on occasion...... Its bed time and time to start day 10

Ha, I thought you might have been talking to me because of the question about the shot, that's why I asked. You've been hunting too hard. :D

To answer the question, no. I phrased that story awkwardly. His hindquarters were blocked by a tree trunk. Everything forward of that was obscured by quite a bit of brush and saplings between me and him. I held just behind the shoulder and that's where I hit, only a little lower than I was shooting for. I won't take a shot if I can't get at the boiler room.
I don't like to shoot through brush, but it happens in the thick woods. I had confidence it would work out based on similar shots I've taken in the past.

tporter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son's first buck. He got it on Saturday. We had only been sitting about 30minutes when this fella came bay at about 20 yards then turned straight toward us. Son had to shoot him in self defense. He said he wanted to shoot a buck and he did. He was mighty proud. This is his third deer this year. He got a doe during the youth hunt and a doe opening weekend of rifle.
ai419.photobucket.com_albums_pp274_aporter3_Hunting_202010_photo2.jpg

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
264, a high shot like that puts them down in their tracks. I see you have the same deer cart that I use. Makes life good. I want to get the dual wheel kit for it to increase the footprint. In soft ground it needs a little more flotation.
I always try for the high shoulder shot. Makes them easier to find after the shot.

That cart is my uncle's, he brought it out from Arizona. Last year he got a nice 9 point that we had to drag for a few hours back to the truck. He bought the cart as soon as he got home. Funny thing was that this year, he's the only one to not get a deer. I like the sled idea that Ridge is using, looks like it could be folded and stuffed into a backpack.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always try for the high shoulder shot. Makes them easier to find after the shot.

That cart is my uncle's, he brought it out from Arizona. Last year he got a nice 9 point that we had to drag for a few hours back to the truck. He bought the cart as soon as he got home. Funny thing was that this year, he's the only one to not get a deer. I like the sled idea that Ridge is using, looks like it could be folded and stuffed into a backpack.

First time I saw the game sled in action was at the Elk hunt on the Witchita Mtn hunt that my buddy drew.
We went out and helped others get their elk out while waiting on our hunters to score. Pretty amazing how well they worked. While getting one down the side of a hill, we actually had to put a rope in back to hold it back from getting away from us, and running into the guy pulling up front.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife, Dog Babe on the board took this odd 7 point... He has a 4 inch kicker that goes backwards down his skull on the small side!

[Broken External Image]

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom