Things to do in Estes Park...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Booked a family Spring Break getaway to Estes Park next March, I booked us a week in the hotel where they filmed The Shining. I haven't lived in Denver in some odd twenty years, and can't really remember if there are things to do during the snow season except ski and tube. Obviously, I have to treat the kiddos to the crappy food and amazing ambiance of Casa Bonita. Burger's at Jim's Burger Haven are mandatory, but what is there within an hour or two of Estes Park?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A highway to get the heck out of there!

Seriously if I ever go back to CO again I will find a way to eat at Bingo Burgers.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Booked a family Spring Break getaway to Estes Park next March, I booked us a week in the hotel where they filmed The Shining. I haven't lived in Denver in some odd twenty years, and can't really remember if there are things to do during the snow season except ski and tube. Obviously, I have to treat the kiddos to the crappy food and amazing ambiance of Casa Bonita. Burger's at Jim's Burger Haven are mandatory, but what is there within an hour or two of Estes Park?

2 hours from EP to Casa Bonita in late winter might be optimistic. Enjoy the hotel & the ghost stories tour they do there.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hiking at Rocky Mountain National Park. Raft any number of rivers (I did the Poudre several years back). Bring or rent a bike and tear up the road or trails (if you MTB).

Denver proper can be kinda... busy and big city feeling. But Golden is really neat and still had a nice small town feel when I was there last month (if a bit college town-esque with Mines there, but nothing like Boulder). D'Deli is a great sandwich if you find yourself that way.

Fort Collins is great as well, though I haven't been in some 13 years. Good beer and good cycling there.

Engineman1960

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what you have planned or what you like; But:
Wings over the Rockies Air and Space Museum in Autora but its 70 miles one way -- My wife and daughter went shopping , while I went to the museum --excellent; not the cheapest, but I had a great time!
https://wingsmuseum.org

Ikea and Maggiano's Little Italian Restaurant is 24 minutes away in Centennial.
https://www.maggianos.com/?_ga=2.123695627.1018600439.1567650643-1568540218.1567650643

Peterson Air and Space Museum in Colorado Springs -- Its free, but its on Peterson Air Force Base, have to go thru a few hoops if you don't have a Military ID, sorry no firearms on base!
https://petemuseum.org

United State Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs: Never to early to give young people options!
https://www.usafa.af.mil/News/Features/Display/Article/619721/academy-welcomes-tourists-visitors/

Hope this helps !!!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

The Stanley is the hotel that inspired Stephen King to write The Shining after staying there, it was filmed in England and Oregon. Don't tell your family though lol, it's a cool place all the same, my son and I stayed there a few summers ago. Did you request room 217???? :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom