This tower guy is not happy about 5G

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I DO know a great deal about radio and I listened to the first 3 minutes of this and it's all WRONG! This guy doesn't know anything! He says current cell phones use 1 to 2 MHz, that's not even close! They are in the 700+ MHz range. He's also talking about power levels and such, pure B.S. The new 5G will use much smaller cell sites than our current setup. They will be located about every block but will be much lower POWER than what we have today and use much higher frequencies. Our data speeds will be MUCH higher, in the 1 GB (gigabit) range compared to 20 to 100 MB now. He also talks about heating up the water in your body, that's what a microwave oven is designed to do, they operate at 2.4 GHz which is the frequency (and ONLY frequency) that water vibrates at. 5G won't be using any frequency near that. But don't let them put a cell site in your yard!

Can confirm. Been working RF towers for nearly twenty years. This dude went full tard.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your phone wont have to be upgraded due to 5G it will more than likely have to be upgraded to get you on a VoLTE phone. Which is Voice over LTE. This will let carriers shut down their older voice networks.

So there are certain things carriers have to do to turn on your 5g icon on your phone. They all want to do that as soon as possible. As it will drive customers to want to upgrade. All major carriers are testing and deploying it currently in certain areas. 4g wasn't an overnight deal it took years to deploy and it has had different versions and evolved over its lifetime. Their is already 4g equipment out there for years that will simply need a software upgrade and turn on the features to make it 5g. Lots of 5g will be making networks more robust ie adding low power small cells in areas.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
(basically its like if you upgraded your old Linksys WRT54g router with a Netgear Nighthawk but only had a 30 Mbit/sec plan from your broadband provider, you won't see any faster wifi speeds than before).
Out here in rural America your exactly correct. On a good day I might get 12 mbs speed.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out here in rural America your exactly correct. On a good day I might get 12 mbs speed.
Dennis 12mbs is not a bad speed on 4g especially if you are rural. To put it simply as you move away from the tower your signal degrades. Rural towers can sometimes be as far as 20 miles apart in small towns if its flat terrain. While different versions of 4G claim speeds up to 150mb or more its not the backhaul that is the limiting factor. The issue is the amount of frequency owned by the provider at that location. Then that frequency is shared between all the customers using that tower at same time. When you have more frequency you can do things to improve speed but it requires higher end phones to take advantage of those things. IE your phone can make multiple connections to the same tower on different frequencies and or multiple connections to the tower instead of 1 all at the same time increasing your speed. 5g you will not see great speed increases in rural areas unless the provide adds frequency. The very high frequency stuff is very short distance and will be used in metropolitan areas to provide very high speeds but will require you to be very close to their equipment.

The 600mhz auctions that recently completed used to be the Analog TV range. The reason they Gov went digital was to get all the frequency and sell it to providers. If your provider adds 600 to the tower near you it could add additional speed by the means I spoke about above. The lower the number the farther a signal will travel and the better it will penetrate.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I listened to a bit of this... this guy has just the tiniest bit of knowledge to make him THINK he understands the science, but he really doesn't have the physics background to understand what he DOESN'T know.

SMFH.

Oh well... plenty of tin foil-hatters out there to donate to whatever cause. Down with the networks, man! lol

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This subject is not in my wheelhouse! Somebody please let me know when we are in a 5g SHTF sitchimacation!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 600mhz auctions that recently completed used to be the Analog TV range. The reason they Gov went digital was to get all the frequency and sell it to providers.
I'm pretty sure they wanted to resell this spectrum because they were hoping it was the spectrum rotting our brains, not the TV programming...

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your provider adds 600 to the tower near you it could add additional speed by the means I spoke about above. The lower the number the farther a signal will travel and the better it will penetrate.

Yes, lower frequencies drop off slower than higher frequencies, but carry less data. This is why you will typically see a max speed of 70 Mbits/sec on a 2.4 ghz network vs 360 Mbits/sec on a 5ghz network. The faster the frequency, the more data it can transmit in the same time frame. The only saving point is in my example the difference was 2.6 ghz while on cell phones it would only be 200 Mhz. I can see cell providers moving multiple 4g connections to the lower frequencies as it won't see much of a difference but will, as you said, travel farther for rural networks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom