Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangeHound

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw on FoxNews.com the following article, "Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap". How many thousands of people go to a gun range every weekend but one event gets the national press attention. I believe it shows what a microscope we live under.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,559904,00.html?test=latestnews

I want make any comment about the gun being a Jennings.

Anyway the lesson was, still is and will always be safety first at the range.

Paulinok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I took my cc class, the woman who shot next to me scared the crap out of me... I don't think she'd ever shot a gun, much less been to a range...and she certainly didn't have a clue about gun safety. Frankly I'm amazed there aren't more accidents at ranges.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know Happy Hollow in sapulpa had an accident about 4 months ago, brand new shotgun with old reloads, gun blew up in his hands, and I saw him the next day at the range all bandaged up and looking for pieces to his gun.

Glad no one was seriously hurt, although it was a pretty rowdy bandage on whole hand and forearm.

OicnaiC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was shooting at the wagoner range once and a kid was shooting his 22 next to me, after every round he would point his gun right at me and check the chamber. Not once paying attention to where he was pointing. I don't know what the hell he was doing it was a semi-auto so he wasn't reloading. I politely but sternly told him to stop and pay attention, his dad gave me a death glare for scolding his kid. I'm just glad I didn't get shot

Jeff Freeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will never understand why big shooting ranges typically have a massive amount of people in their sales department, but often times never a range officer in the place where firearms are being discharged. I know the typical answer is "money" but I would think that the liability alone would be enough to at least staff a couple people inside to ensure safe shooting.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here you go...

Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap

Sunday, October 04, 2009

LAKELAND, Fla. — A Tampa couple and an Irish tourist were shot at a Lakeland gun range after a handgun accidentally fired.

Polk County sheriff's deputies say it's not entirely clear how many times Michael and Sherri Thourot's 9mm accidentally went off Saturday, or what caused the handgun to fire. The pistol was a Jennings make.

The man in an adjacent stall, 29-year-old Gary Flynn, of Ireland, was most seriously injured. He underwent surgery after being hit in the shoulder and throat, and was listed in stable condition.

Michael Thourot was shot in the left hand, and Sherri Thourot was hit in the left arm. Both were also listed in stable condition.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had an experience at H&H one day where a few 'foreign exchange students' from someplace in the world with 'alalala-lot' of sand rented a pistol. First it was kind of funny watching them try to load load a magazine for the first time. I began to wonder WTF when they tried to load the mag backwards. When I saw Haji (he had a nametag on) assume a grip with his support hand OVER the slide, I stopped him and grabbed an H&H guy to assist, packed my gear and headed for the house.

I guess it's good they all don't know how to shoot...:homer:

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was shooting at the wagoner range once and a kid was shooting his 22 next to me, after every round he would point his gun right at me and check the chamber. Not once paying attention to where he was pointing. I don't know what the hell he was doing it was a semi-auto so he wasn't reloading. I politely but sternly told him to stop and pay attention, his dad gave me a death glare for scolding his kid. I'm just glad I didn't get shot

And that is why I will NEVER go back out to any WM ranges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom